PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
For Saturday lunch I often make my Kitchen Sink, which is a frying pan amalgamation of the week's leftovers. I add fresh meat, vegetables, or starches as needed, and alway a variety of spices. I love it.

So today, being Saturday, I'm going to start a new Kitchen Sink using all the tobaccos I've tried that are boring, too sweet, or in the case of EMP, just too strong for my taste. I hope the result will be similar to Amphora's Full Aroma, in which I taste all sorts of flavors.

I will mix it, smoke a bowl immediately, then package it for a bit of melding time. Then I will post the "recipe" and my observations.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Sounds like fun, hope you enjoy your concoction.
Look forward to the recipe.
Recipe? I think it goes something like this - a touch of this, a dottle worth of that . . .

Quite a few here have mentioned they've got a jar that they throw remnants from jars or blends that aren't quite to their liking. A bitza blend of different genres.
Most say that given time to amalgamate, their bitza blends turn out rather good.

Tobacco is way too expensive here to waste. When I get to the bottom of a jar of baccy, I often have a few grams that's too fine [read 'dust'] to stick in a pipe.
That goes into a jar. Once there's sufficient quantity, I intend to make a Kake with a noodle press.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
For Saturday lunch I often make my Kitchen Sink, which is a frying pan amalgamation of the week's leftovers. I add fresh meat, vegetables, or starches as needed, and alway a variety of spices. I love it.

So today, being Saturday, I'm going to start a new Kitchen Sink using all the tobaccos I've tried that are boring, too sweet, or in the case of EMP, just too strong for my taste. I hope the result will be similar to Amphora's Full Aroma, in which I taste all sorts of flavors.

I will mix it, smoke a bowl immediately, then package it for a bit of melding time. Then I will post the "recipe" and my observations.
EMP is too strong in what regard? Taste or the strength itself?
Is it the Dunhill/Peterson EMP [which I haven't smoked] or the Sutliff EMP Match?

I'm an inhaler so I smoke no stronger than mild to medium [but prefer mild]
I quite enjoy the Sutliff EMP Match which is about right for my tastes strength wise.

Whenever I've bought a blend that was too strong, I mix it with a milder blend. [A straight Virginia often does the trick] I've not bought a blend yet that I couldn't 'fix' by adding a bit of this or that.

One of my favourite experiments is 70% Mark Twain [An aromatic which is too moist] and 30% London Squire [A dry English blend that's a touch astringent] It's a nice balance and very tasty.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
EMP is too strong in what regard? Taste or the strength itself?
Is it the Dunhill/Peterson EMP [which I haven't smoked] or the Sutliff EMP Match?
I think it's the strength. It tastes bad to me, yes, but it's probably just one of the ingredients that's a bit too much. Last night I smoked Stokkebye 306 English Oriental Supreme, which smells the same to my nose, and which probably has very similar ingredients, and I loved it.

It's the Pete.

Reactions: chopper

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
If you mix 5 different kinds of shit together, you still get shit. No harm in experimenting but it seems like it would be a miracle if some fantastic tasting blend arose from those ashes.
A miracle would be nice!

But I wouldn't categorize them as shit. Stokk's 84 Turkish, for instance, seems bland to me, but I'm guessing it would calm down the EMP. Stokk's 314 Dark Fired is delicious but a bit one-dimensional to my taste.

In the SCL category (Shredded Cat Leavings), which won't be included in the recipe, is C&D's Old Joe Krantz. Whatever is in that stuff, I don't want any of it.

• Haha
Reactions: chopper and Brendan

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Recipe? I think it goes something like this - a touch of this, a dottle worth of that . . .

Quite a few here have mentioned they've got a jar that they throw remnants from jars or blends that aren't quite to their liking. A bitza blend of different genres.
Most say that given time to amalgamate, their bitza blends turn out rather good.

Tobacco is way too expensive here to waste. When I get to the bottom of a jar of baccy, I often have a few grams that's too fine [read 'dust'] to stick in a pipe.
That goes into a jar. Once there's sufficient quantity, I intend to make a Kake with a noodle press.
Your not wrong, my leftovers go back to the jar, or into an old cabbies mixture tin that i use when I'm out of the house. Store my tobacco for the day,plus the left overs of previous smokes.
Lately it's been Royal Yacht/Dr Pat's/Old Dark Fired, in a pot luck fashion.
Might have some Skiff Mixture crumbs to add to that actually..

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
So, how was the fresh mixture Saturday?
OJK cat leavings? LOL! I actually enjoy OJK. Pretty good.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I finally put together my ingredients:

16g Stokkebye Black Cavendish
12g Match Elizabethan
12g Stokkebye Dark Fired
11g Stokkebye Turkish
20g McBaren 7 Seas
22g C&D Old Joe Krantz
15g Stokkebye Toasted Burley

Roughly 100g total.

Mixed it all together, added 1oz rum, covered till tomorrow.

I stoved a bit before putting the rest aside, and am smoking bowl now. It's delicious, as it should be since it's mostly Virginias and some Burley. Mr Krantz is keeping his back end hidden, which was his most objectionable part for me. The warm nuttiness of the burley is detectable. The sweetness of the Virginia and the rum is coming through strong, though my taste isn't experienced enough that I could detect the rum if I didn't already know it was there. There are occasional hints of cocoa and fruit, just as there should be.

I'm calling this a success. I took several tobaccos which were good but about which I was ambivalent, and one which had an ingredient I distinctly disliked, and turned them into a palatable blend that I'm enjoying very much.

C

carolinasmokes

I use to do something similar back in the day why I smoked a lot of different McClelland Virginias. I always seemed to have leftovers from a tin or bulk purchase. So, I started throwing all the leftovers in a jar and I had some pretty darn good smokes from that jar. Good luck LikeDadDid.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Your not wrong, my leftovers go back to the jar, or into an old cabbies mixture tin that i use when I'm out of the house. Store my tobacco for the day,plus the left overs of previous smokes.
Lately it's been Royal Yacht/Dr Pat's/Old Dark Fired, in a pot luck fashion.
Might have some Skiff Mixture crumbs to add to that actually..
Ah, the old Aussie favourite, Dr Pats Irish mixture.
The recipe must have changed over the years.
My 4th grade teacher occasionally smoked his pipe in the classroom during the lunch break. The room smelled divine upon our return to class.

When I picked up the pipe I was quite disappointed in Dr Pats. The room note is different to my childhood memory.

JimInks once asked me to describe Dr Pats - like asking a monkey to give a thesis on bananas, lol.
Years later I finally popped my only tin of Orlik Racing Green [what a shame that Orlik does not sell in bulk]
It's tin note smelt exactly like Dr Pats but due to a different cut and leaf mixture, ORG is a much better smoke.
[Dr Pat is good but needs drying and is a bit finicky to pack. ORG is good to go straight from the tin]

It's strange that although the tin note is almost identical, unlike Dr Pat the room note of the ORG reminds me of 4th grade.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I was gonna say, set them aside for few weeks and try again. EMP and other English/Balkan blends have Latakia. When tin's first opened, they can be sharp and harsh. That will settle down in less than a week. Some blends just need some "breathing".

But you already mixed some and it's good to your taste, cool.