PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I wouldn't recommend it. The glue kinda makes it permanent.

I use contact cement. Domestic product, but the choice amongst many leathercrafters is Barge. Leather is up to you, but I chose the Riviera calf because if essentially unscratchable. You can see that the creases barely shew on my sleeve and I was using a rather high temperature on the creaser: the same temperature that would char crazy horse or veg tan leather.
I'm okay with permanent and I like the idea of unscratchable. This is to wrap some sword mounts to help protect the blade edge:

613rH1rBgWL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm okay with permanent and I like the idea of unscratchable. This is to wrap some sword mounts to help protect the blade edge:

View attachment 71574
For that you need to use vegetable tanned leather. Chrome tanned contains, well, chrome salts, which can tarnish or rust metal. If the surface to cover is metal, then I'd suggest a vegetable tanned leather that is soft in temper and has a weight of at least 7 oz, or more depending on how sharp your blade is.

1 oz = 1/64 inch = 0.4 mm thickness.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
For that you need to use vegetable tanned leather. Chrome tanned contains, well, chrome salts, which can tarnish or rust metal. If the surface to cover is metal, then I'd suggest a vegetable tanned leather that is soft in temper and has a weight of at least 7 oz, or more depending on how sharp your blade is.

1 oz = 1/64 inch = 0.4 mm thickness.
Good to know about the tanning.

The swords were shipped dull but I took them to a professional sharpener. He said they'd be as sharp as a quality steak knife when he was done so I'll get the thickest leather I can find.

Reactions: ofafeather

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Good to know about the tanning.

The swords were shipped dull but I took them to a professional sharpener. He said they'd be as sharp as a quality steak knife when he was done so I'll get the thickest leather I can find.
I'd also get some of this, if you haven't already:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Lighters came to be something expensive for which I wasn't willing to pay. Most didn't work, and although my torch worked, it was feeble, at least in comparison to the guys in the smoking lounge with their triple-jet flames. Unless you're lighting a cigar and are dealing with a lot of tobacco, I don't think they are needed. Now you may love them and have considerable attachment to them, and I say great. This is about me, not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.