PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I needed to have redundancy in terms of lighters, seeing the current trends and given how often I keep dropping my Mikazuki when I get out of the car, so I knew I had to spring for a new Kiribi this past IPSD. As I was compulsively clicking on the link to SPC on the list of sponsors, in one of those times I saw that Kiribi has a leather-wrapped version of the Kabuto –the Kuroi:

001-068-0215.jpg

Last time I dropped my Mikazuki I saw that the shiny metal in it had quite a few dents, so the idea of a leather sleeve was appealing, but the curved shape of the base and platform in the Mikazuki made it a bit tricky, so I decided to buy a plain matte Kabuto. Too bad for SPC, they didn't offer discounts on accessories for IPSD; Tobaccopipes.com did and they got my business.

The lighter got here last Tuesday and I got to work last night. A piece of Riviera calfskin and blue Tiger thread later...

Riviera_Kabuto--01.jpg

Riviera_Kabuto--02.jpg

Sure, it doesn't have the sea critter stamped on it, but what the heck. puffy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, I needed to have redundancy in terms of lighters, seeing the current trends and given how often I keep dropping my Mikazuki when I get out of the car, so I knew I had to spring for a new Kiribi this past IPSD. As I was compulsively clicking on the link to SPC on the list of sponsors, in one of those times I saw that Kiribi has a leather-wrapped version of the Kabuto –the Kuroi:

001-068-0215.jpg

Last time I dropped my Mikazuki I saw that the shiny metal in it had quite a few dents, so the idea of a leather sleeve was appealing, but the curved shape of the base and platform in the Mikazuki made it a bit tricky, so I decided to buy a plain matte Kabuto. Too bad for SPC, they didn't offer discounts on accessories for IPSD; Tobaccopipes.com did and they got my business.

The lighter got here last Tuesday and I got to work last night. A piece of Riviera calfskin and blue Tiger thread later...

View attachment 69132

View attachment 69133

Sure, it doesn't have the sea critter stamped on it, but what the heck. puffy
Nice work...looks great!

And the color matches your fur!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Dropped mine once. Last time I used Kiribi. Tiny ding, but it shows and I can feel it every time I pick it up. When I drop my Zippo, it adds character, not annoying damage.
Yeah. I guess it'd depend on the finish of the Zippo. Mine is a matte black, and any dings or scratches would look terrible.

Aside from a case, the only way to protect Kiribis' nickel from unsightly dints would be a nigh-full sleeve, the kind used for Bics:

Lighter_sleeves.jpg

However, Kiribis require rather constant adjusting of the flame, specially as their fuel gets used up, and Bic style sleeves may prove quite impractical.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Not to get off track but if someone with no skills wanted to wrap a small cylinder and likely glue it on instead of sewing what would be a good choice of glue and leather?

Reactions: ofafeather

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not to get off track but if someone with no skills wanted to wrap a small cylinder and likely glue it on instead of sewing what would be a good choice of glue and leather?
I wouldn't recommend it. The glue kinda makes it permanent.

I use contact cement. Domestic product, but the choice amongst many leathercrafters is Barge. Leather is up to you, but I chose the Riviera calf because if essentially unscratchable. You can see that the creases barely shew on my sleeve and I was using a rather high temperature on the creaser: the same temperature that would char crazy horse or veg tan leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.