PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
How many of you love wearing kilts? Once you've tried one on pants just no longer look appealing! Let's get some discussion on kilts going! I personally love to go on walks in the woods wearing my kilt and clenching a pipe. I think the two go hand in hand. Any other kilt lovers out there?

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Not being Scottish I rarely wear a kilt, as I dont really deem it proper. I do like a nice draft around the old danglies though.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've never worn a kilt before, but will do so for the first time in June during a local 8k running race. The largest kilt run in the world, at last count. Sounds like a decent enough time to try one...although I still hate running.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Love wearing my kilt; kilts actually. I own three. Two of my own and the third my band kilt (I play bagpipes in a pipe & drum band). Have never really thought of my pipe and my kilt together and have never really associated the two. Now, scotch whiskey and a pipe? Nothing could be finer!

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Own a couple. One is formal (and at an event full of guys in tuxes a kilt inevitably turns you into a chick magnet) in the family tartan, and a green Utilikilt for casual occasions. I've even worn it grouse hunting. Pros of hunting in a Utilikilt include the fact that grouse fit perfectly in the side pockets. The one big con is that the kilt doesn't protect your dangly bits in the brambly, thorny bits.
Fellow ruffed grouse hunters will appreciate just how much of a con this is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd feel conspicuous wearing a kilt, so I don't own one; I'd feel like the kilt was wearing me. But if

you are at ease with it, it's cool. (Pun meant.) A lot of ethnic dress involves robes or kilt-like garments

much beloved in their own cultures.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Love my kilt. At my last highland games I was in my kilt (the greatest tartan in the world MacLean Hunting), had a nice chunky Lovat filled with Rattrays Red Rapparee going and gorged on Belhaven and meat pies. It was the perfect day.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I feel like there has to be some sort of sociological/genetical prerequisite to wearing a kilt as part of you regular attire. Otherwise you're just some posin'-ass wannabe, and that's not cool. It'd be like me trading in my blue jeans for a kimono.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I feel like there has to be some sort of sociological/genetical prerequisite to wearing a kilt as part of you regular attire. Otherwise you're just some posin'-ass wannabe, and that's not cool. It'd be like me trading in my blue jeans for a kimono.
I'm inclined to agree with you but the kilt was only invented in the 18th century to please I think either George III or the prince regent, a notorious fop. Plus you never see scotchmen wearing kilts in Scotland unless they're at a wedding or whatever and also wearing a Bonnie Prince Charlie jacket, or they're in a touristy region, so I suppose it's fair game, particularly in America. In the UK you're liable to be glassed or have a deep fried mars bar thrown at you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am Michigan commissioner for the Clan Campbell Society (North America); am also active in my local St. Andrew's Society. I do indeed own and wear a kilt. My avatar pic shows me at a Highland games,where I was indeed wearing the kilt. (The tee says "Real men wear kilts". A friend bought it for me because he thought the guy on the shirtr lokks a bit like me. :D )

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
So what goes through your mind upon encountering your "average American Joe" in a kilt, Jud?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I just spent most of the weekend at a Steampunk convention at which I wore my kilts about 80% of the time. While I agree that generally one should have some connection, however tenuous, to a clan if you're wearing a clan tartan, the modern canvas kilts are fair game for anyone so inclined. There are also tartan patterns that are not clan affiliated at all - military branch tartans, state or country tartans, organizational tartans, etc. If you've got the legs for it, I say go for it.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Just to resurrect this thread; Went to the Highland Games in Northampton this weekend and bought a new kilt along with one of those ridiculous shirts.

10524316_10152284241122794_4871899090684597580_n.jpg

Unfortunately they didn't let me keep the targe or claymore.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
The wife and I go (English) country dancing. There are usually one or two guys in kilts there.

Status
Not open for further replies.