PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Ken Byron from Ken Byron Ventures interviewed by The Fokker Circus Pipe News youtube channel. I searched the forum to see if this interview was already posted and couldn't find anything. I don't have an opinion other than it's an interesting interview. Wanted to share in case anyone here was interested and missed it.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
this is the best pipe-oriented youtube video I've ever watched. I love the personalities playing off one another. thanks for sharing

Reactions: Marie

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
This was a great find, Marie, and "remixing" is very apt for what Ken is doing with his blends. 👍
Yeah, I don't have any issue with remixing tobaccos. I like it, and already do it with tea at home for myself. There is a learning curve with nuance though, but that is with any creative fusion IMHO. I do sense it is better to just be on the table about it though which I perceive he is doing...we see remixing (and also being inspired to create something new fusing the strands that have been weaved before us) in the visual and music arts all the time. :)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve really enjoyed bouncing through some of the KBV offerings in the last few years.

That conversation was certainly wide-ranging, and the more interesting for its breadth. Who knew the nexus of illegally scuba diving on desalinization plants and the Wind In The Willows was pipe tobacco?

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
This is my first time seeing or hearing him. Thanks for finding this and sharing it in the forum!

What a very nice find! Thanks for posting this. It's very interesting, much better than the usual YouTube pipe video.
I met "Ken" a few times at the WCPS, when he was launching his brand and he was a very engaging high energy guy.
He's come light years from where he started and makes some of my favorite micro batches.
Do you have his name in quotations because it's a pseudonym?

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
I’ve really enjoyed bouncing through some of the KBV offerings in the last few years.

That conversation was certainly wide-ranging, and the more interesting for its breadth. Who knew the nexus of illegally scuba diving on desalinization plants and the Wind In The Willows was pipe tobacco?
My order of KBV just arrived (Dark Fired Cherry, Moriarty and Hand of Gotz), and a seperate package with a couple Meer cobs. Yeah, this interview was fun to watch. Ken is definitely a Gen X-er (I am too). Loved the New Wave nod. I am not sure how much longer he will be selling custom blends though...the business has a way of stepping all over the creative impulse sometimes. He might want to consider selling a book of all the artwork for each year. I'm sure some big fans would buy those to collect. puffy

Reactions: krizzose

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
This is my first time seeing or hearing him. Thanks for finding this and sharing it in the forum!

Do you have his name in quotations because it's a pseudonym?
People who know him back when he was on Reddit and Facebook, under the aliases "Fuzzy Totemz" and "Fuzzy," and, in the latter, using his real name, know that Ken Byron is a pseudonym. He is a charming and intelligent guy, especially when projecting to the larger public. Let's just say that people who know him well have a mixture of opinions, and the camp I fall into doesn't have a very favorable one.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
People who know him back when he was on Reddit and Facebook, under the aliases "Fuzzy Totemz" and "Fuzzy," and, in the latter, using his real name, know that Ken Byron is a pseudonym. He is a charming and intelligent guy, especially when projecting to the larger public. Let's just say that people who know him well have a mixture of opinions, and the camp I fall into doesn't have a very favorable one.
Yeah, I heard about some of that. Social media doesn't tend to bring out the best in us. Still, he makes some pretty good micro batch blends, which is all I care about. I'm not planning to adopt the guy.

He's moved on from making blends out of mixing commercially released unicorns, like Esoterica, to searching out remainders of very good leaf that's too small for anyone else to bother with, treating it in unique ways, and turning out a good smoke.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Yeah it was great when people had a mold concern on a blend he released a few years ago (I was a purchaser) and his response was to laugh at everyone voicing the question.

That’s when I was done.

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Yeah it was great when people had a mold concern on a blend he released a few years ago (I was a purchaser) and his response was to laugh at everyone voicing the question.

That’s when I was done.
That doesn't sound like a way to keep a business thriving. Especially when word of mouth is your best way to advertise. That is one of my concerns about buying bigger quantities of tobacco if I find one that I really like. I've read in several areas about folks dealing with mold issues.

Reactions: fireground_piper
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
That doesn't sound like a way to keep a business thriving. Especially when word of mouth is your best way to advertise. That is one of my concerns about buying bigger quantities of tobacco if I find one that I really like. I've read in several areas about folks dealing with mold issues.
Most companies/retailers will make it right. The response was very off putting.

I still have the jar, unopened since. I want to say it was 2020 and there was still a KBV Instagram page where the responses were happening. The reason people were questioning it was because it started looking like this just a week or two after folks started getting their orders.

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

Marie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Los Angeles
Most companies/retailers will make it right. The response was very off putting.

I still have the jar, unopened since. I want to say it was 2020 and there was still a KBV Instagram page where the responses were happening. The reason people were questioning it was because it started looking like this just a week or two after folks started getting their orders.

View attachment 322514

View attachment 322515
Yikes! So it looked fine upon opening for everyone and then after 1-2 weeks there was visible mold growing? Was it narrowed down by the buyers as to why this happened...like existing mold spores already in the tobacco waiting for the right conditions to thrive?

Reactions: fireground_piper

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I have only tried 3 of his blend and like them a lot. I would like to try more but the last 2 times I tried to order his website wouldn’t complete the order. I tried to reach out to him but he didn’t seem interested in fixing the problem.