PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Because, Peck, you already have enough.
Gorgeous pipes all...Looking forward to Ken's website. Jesse we can count on you to release the info on his site, right?
Jesse, please show these on the Patch, too.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's great to see these pipes. They're beautiful and Ken hasn't skipped a beat.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I was at the Vegas show, and lucky enough to see the pipes that Jesse and Rick had brought in person. Amazing as the photos are, they don't do justice to the grain or craftsmanship of the pipe. They were all gorgeous.-jguss
What Mr. Guss said. When Jesse and Rick called me over to their table to look at some pipes, I was immediately mesmerized when I saw them. As fine as the photos on this thread are, they still don't quite capture the beauty of the pieces in person. Ken Barnes can whittle pretty good. (-:

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Jesse said: "As for Ken's website, if he doesn't announce it on PM, I'll post the link."
Thanks for posting that on the Patch as well and please be sure to post his website when it is up and available...thanks, Jesse.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Gorgeous pipes. Love the classic shapes

I agree timt, I want to make classic orthodox English shapes with the fullest grain.

Classic Billiards, Apple, Lovats and so on.I regularly study my copy of the Charatan 1951 catalogue to inspire me before cutting.

There are times when the briar dictates other shapes which I need to cut in order to secure/bring out the best and cleanest grain in the block. These can resemble the 1970s Charatan-type 'freehand'. The briar saw mills are also being really supportive by supplying me the quality of briar that I am looking for.

I must say that all your comments on this thread certainly inspire me still further. Thank you very much!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I must say that all your comments on this thread certainly inspire me still further. Thank you very much!
Well I must say that you've earned all the complements, Ken. I love those shapes too, especially Apples and I'm discovering that I have developed a fondness for the Lovat shape. After carving my first a couple of months ago I can see how the briar dictates the shape. I had one plan, the briar had another entirely different plan for me altogether. Keep up the good work and maybe some day, I'll own a Ken Barnes pipe!

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures Jesse and for giving people the chance to admire Ken's amazing work. It is like he has been secretly practising for 30 years, his know how and skill is astonishing, the way he can find the grain and shape in a block of briar is incredible(and requires a ton of skill and nerves of steel!!!). I am so happy to hear that his pipes will be commercially available soon. I am pretty sure they will be gone in a heartbeat!

While my photography skills are not nearly as good, I think this is the perfect opportunity to show of my one of my best, if not the best, smoker I have. And of course, it is from Ken Barnes! The attention to detail is incredible, the mouthpiece extremely comfortable and the draw is just right giving a cool, dry smoke.

Behold the billiard of all billiards:
FqTL3vk.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The grain is astonishing, but who has ever seen plateau like that before? Ken's way into the upper reaches of the art.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
re: The one on the lower right is the billiard that I very reluctantly sold. It's a beautiful pipe!
Doggone, I knew there was a compelling reason to attend the WCPS. Why didn't I listen to myself....I would have loved to have a chance at that billiard.

Status
Not open for further replies.