PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
We have a new page at the top of the forums, just below the Forum Rules, titled, "Ken Barnes Posts".

If you do not know, Ken had a long history in the British pipe world, starting at the age of 16-years old. He passed in April 2021.

In recent past years, he posted here and was a fount of knowledge on Charatan and Upshall pipes, amongst other things.

All of the posts are still here. Our long-time forum member, Jesse Silver aka sablebrush52, volunteered to compile these posts in one place.

You will find PDF download files linked here.

Last edited:

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
We have a new page at the top of the forums, just below the Forum Rules, titled, "Ken Barnes Posts".

If you do not know, Ken had a long history in the British pipe world, starting at the age of 16-years old. He passed in April 2021.

In recent past years, he posted here and was a fount of knowledge on Charatan and Upshall pipes, amongst other things.

All of the posts are still here. Our long-time forum member, Jesse Silver aka sablebrush52, volunteered to compile these post in one place.

You will find PDF download files linked here.
Thank you Jesse for doing this! Ken was invaluable and such a gentlemen. I didn't know he had gone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, well done, and thanks, Jesse and Kevin.

Since this will attract Barnes fans, I have one question I was going to ask Ken but was too late.

Simply this: Were the rims on the Ken Barnes marque pipes treated differently than the outside of the stummel? I.e., perhaps fewer coats of shellac?

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Very cool tribute. I read through some of this and it’s seriously informative. Ken was supremely knowledgeable. Good on Jesse and this forum for keeping his memory alive. ?☕

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ken was one of the nicest, smartest, and most genial people I've had the good fortune to know. It seemed completely unacceptable that his knowledge, which he shared so freely upon request, should be completely lost with him.

I asked Kevin if he would be interested in preserving Ken's posts in a manner that would allow Charatan and Upshall fans easy access to them.

Kevin agreed that this would be of great benefit, so I did the dive to recover Ken's posts, as well as relevant members posts that provide necessary context for Ken's responses. To the greatest extent possible I also included images of the pipes under discussion. This wasn't always possible as a number of images had disappeared from the threads.

This compilation focuses on Ken's posts about Charatan and Upshall, two topics upon which Ken is authoritative. The content is in a roughly chronological order, further organized by thread. The links in the PDF's are live, so clicking on them will open the page upon which the post appears, if that's helpful.

There's a lot of other Ken Barnes material on the server which I invite members to explore.

Kevin, thank you for making this happen.

Edit: I changed PDS's to PDF's/Al

Last edited by a moderator:

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
Ken was one of the nicest, smartest, and most genial people I've had the good fortune to know. It seemed completely unacceptable that his knowledge, which he shared so freely upon request, should be completely lost with him.

I asked Kevin if he would be interested in preserving Ken's posts in a manner that would allow Charatan and Upshall fans easy access to them.

Kevin agreed that this would be of great benefit, so I did the dive to recover Ken's posts, as well as relevant members posts that provide necessary context for Ken's responses. To the greatest extent possible I also included images of the pipes under discussion. This wasn't always possible as a number of images had disappeared from the threads.

This compilation focuses on Ken's posts about Charatan and Upshall, two topics upon which Ken is authoritative. The content is in a roughly chronological order, further organized by thread. The links in the PSD's are live, so clicking on them will open the page upon which the post appears, if that's helpful.

There's a lot of other Ken Barnes material on the server which I invite members to explore.

Kevin, thank you for making this happen.
Thaks for doing this ???

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a great service to members and pipe history. No pretentions to the guy at all. It took me a number of posts to realize he was not just another one of us. This compilation is maybe the book he never wrote. Thanks, Jesse and Kevin.