PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
There is a Spanish writer that I like very much, a few years ago I was given a book called SIDI. The writer's name is Arturo Perez Reverte, he was a war correspondent in the Balkans and many other conflicts.
I've enjoyed all his Captain Alatriste novels, though the seventh hasn't been translated into English yet

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I usually visit this forum when sitting on the toilet trying to motivate my asscheeks. Works wonderfully well. Quite often now that I come to think of it, really…
This strategy can backfire, however. Say you've got a coiled rope of Brown Bogie nearby. Might be best to double check and make sure it's Brown Bogie before packing a bowl. Methinks Mr. Hankey doesn't smoke very flavorful. At least that's what @cosmicfolklore tells me... 🙃

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I've enjoyed all his Captain Alatriste novels, though the seventh hasn't been translated into English yet
That would be another very good recommendation of this great writer. His novels or stories, once you read them, after some time, you come back to read it again. I am glad you enjoy this writer, friend Romaso.

Reactions: romaso

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I come out here once a day - maybe twice, every once in a while. I use the "Watched Forums" feature, which filters out the stuff I am not interested in. Using that feature, I simply check for active threads that may be interesting.

Reactions: JOHN72

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hello friend Snook. I'm glad you got to know this forum of brother smokers. You will learn a lot of things here. Many good people here and big hearted. Regarding a book, it's hard without knowing your tastes. What do you like, history, fiction, mix of the two? There is a Spanish writer that I like very much, a few years ago I was given a book called SIDI. The writer's name is Arturo Perez Reverte, he was a war correspondent in the Balkans and many other conflicts. I don't know if it is translated into English.View attachment 165072
Honestly, historical fiction is probably my favorite genre! Sidi looks great, but I couldn't find an English translation in my Google search... I guess I could learn Spanish... hah. Thanks for the suggestion, John! One of my favorite books is Hanta Yo. It's a historical fiction about Native Americans and the journey of a Lakota chief's son to become leader of the tribe. I don't think that one is in print anymore; I found my copy at a thrift store. I also like biographies and memoirs a lot.

Reactions: romaso and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Honestly, historical fiction is probably my favorite genre! Sidi looks great, but I couldn't find an English translation in my Google search... I guess I could learn Spanish... hah. Thanks for the suggestion, John! One of my favorite books is Hanta Yo. It's a historical fiction about Native Americans and the journey of a Lakota chief's son to become leader of the tribe. I don't think that one is in print anymore; I found my copy at a thrift store. I also like biographies and memoirs a lot.
Yes, friend Snook, I like biographies and memoirs too. One of the ones that made the biggest impact on me was the true story of Miguel de Cervantes. Here in Spain there is an old TV series, which is beautiful. I don't know if you can watch it with English subtitles. The life of this writer and warrior still fascinates me today.Here on this page, there is a complete archive of old theaters and series. I have seen this series several times, and I never get tired of watching it again. Cervantes: Capítulo 1 | RTVE Play - https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/cervantes/capitulo-1/3502105/

Reactions: romaso

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
One of the ones that made the biggest impact on me was the true story of Miguel de Cervantes. Here in Spain there is an old TV series, which is beautiful. I don't know if you can watch it with English subtitles. The life of this writer and warrior still fascinates me today.Here on this page, there is a complete archive of old theaters and series. I have seen this series several times, and I never get tired of watching it again. Cervantes: Capítulo 1 | RTVE Play - https://www.rtve.es/play/videos/cervantes/capitulo-1/3502105/
Thanks for the suggestion. I remember I was about 12 years old and my father came to find me to put me to bed. He saw I was watching 'Don Quixote' on TV, and that it had just started and would run late into the night. He told me that we should stay up late and watch it, and that I could then stay home from school the next day, because this story was more important. My father was a good man.

I think you would like this one, 'Bless Me, Ultima':
Bless Me, Ultima (2012) - IMDb

• Love
Reactions: edger and JOHN72

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Kevin usually calls me when he sees something on the forum that might interest me. I will also get singing telegrams from other forum members, urging me to chime in on important topics like "Was McClellands Overrated?" or "How many Pipes In Your Collection?".

• Haha
Reactions: brian64

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also use the feature when I click on on my avatar at the top right of the page and then go down to my content. I forget where I post a lot and don't care to scour the site for posts I made. It is a great time saver.