PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I come in here everyday. And I always keep this tab open. Wherever you comment, you'll get email notification if someone else comment in that thread.<< Snipped bits out >>
That's a setting. I'd go nuts if I got an email every time the above happened.

I click on Forum and scan the lists, then attend to notifications on the bell, upper right. Those are replies to my posts, but not all of them.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
That's a setting. I'd go nuts if I got an email every time the above happened.

I click on Forum and scan the lists, then attend to notifications on the bell, upper right. Those are replies to my posts, but not all of them.
Of course you'd go nuts, probably you'll get more than 100 email notification in one day, including those likes on your comments 😅

I only get 7, 8, maybe 10, depends on how many threads I commented.

• Wow
Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I live here. See that English Tudor 3 houses down on the right that is mine.

I belong to a couple other pipe forums but PM is my main squeeze. I always have a tab open and I can scroll through new threads very quickly. If I see something that interests me I check it out.

When you compare PM to sites of it's kind it is easy to see how much busier it is and the quality of the discussions cannot be had at any other site. We have more action than the other 4 forums combined.

I believe the reason for this is we have been around longer than most and there is good balance of busting each others balls but then we get serious about a topic and people here do their homework, they are not just pulling shit out of their asses and calling it facts.

Here is a fact most people don't know but Latakia is made by smoking the leaves over piles of slow burning Camel shit. How's the Latakia tasting now boys?puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums is a guilty pleasure, like a neighborhood bar where I'd hang out. I'll chore around, complete this or that task or errand, then sit down and peruse the current posts and see what interests me. As Mark Twain said, anyone can do any amount of work as long as it isn't what they're supposed to be doing.

Nothing like the smell of camel droppings in the morning; it smells like Latakia! Referencing cigrmaster's post.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I usually head for the WAYS and see what folks are up to, check notifications in case there is a quote to read and/or respond to. If I get a PM I receive an email. I like the list of recent stuff. Something or someone catches my eye I’ll read it for entertainment, enjoyment or education (often those coincide).

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I usually head for the WAYS and see what folks are up to, check notifications in case there is a quote to read and/or respond to. If I get a PM I receive an email. I like the list of recent stuff. Something or someone catches my eye I’ll read it for entertainment, enjoyment or education (often those coincide).
This is what I do. Almost exactly

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I have blocked the message alerts to alert me on my cell phone. I just check the forum when I have time. I try not to use my cell phone 24 hours a day. I don't have social networks, I don't even watch youtube anymore, I don't want to be flooded with misinformation all day long. I take refuge in my favorite books, my passion for the world of tobacco, a little exercise and walk with my wife on the beach. I don't need anything else. I am nauseated by the news on the internet and television. I hate influencer fashion and those gurus of the future.
Couldn't agree more. There's a fine line when it comes to social media, technology, etc. I definitely don't want to be inundated with alerts, either! I think I just need to get used to how the forum works so that when I DO check it, I feel like I'm using my time wisely.

Any good books you've read as of late you'd recommend?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
"Keeping up with" might be the wrong term. I'd just like to be involved more. Not much of a pipe community here locally (that I'm aware of).
As many folks that are members here, many just read the posts, very few of us know other pipe smokers. Not sure how community would apply to smoking, but we come and go here. Sometimes just to read, sometimes to converse.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Couldn't agree more. There's a fine line when it comes to social media, technology, etc. I definitely don't want to be inundated with alerts, either! I think I just need to get used to how the forum works so that when I DO check it, I feel like I'm using my time wisely.

Any good books you've read as of late you'd recommend?
Hello friend Snook. I'm glad you got to know this forum of brother smokers. You will learn a lot of things here. Many good people here and big hearted. Regarding a book, it's hard without knowing your tastes. What do you like, history, fiction, mix of the two? There is a Spanish writer that I like very much, a few years ago I was given a book called SIDI. The writer's name is Arturo Perez Reverte, he was a war correspondent in the Balkans and many other conflicts. I don't know if it is translated into English.8249A78A-25B2-44F4-B66A-B4FA680DECEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kcghost

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have blocked the message alerts to alert me on my cell phone. I just check the forum when I have time. I try not to use my cell phone 24 hours a day. I don't have social networks, I don't even watch youtube anymore, I don't want to be flooded with misinformation all day long. I take refuge in my favorite books, my passion for the world of tobacco, a little exercise and walk with my wife on the beach. I don't need anything else. I am nauseated by the news on the internet and television. I hate influencer fashion and those gurus of the future.
Same here brother

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72