PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Something tells me you go on regular Critter Hunts around your property just to torment her.
Poor Greta... :cry:
In which case I recommend this next time: :twisted:
https://www.amazon.com/SonStarShop-Fake-Spider-Rubber-Tree/dp/B00A91W14I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490838792&sr=8-3&keywords=rubber+spider

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Cute little king snake. We don't have them around here.
I couldn't tell you the number of midland water snakes I've seen people kill who mistook them for copperheads, though. Always breaks my heart. They're great snakes to have around.
I also encourage black racers and chickensnakes to take up residence at my place. I'm surrounded by farm land and having those guys around keeps the mice in check. People think I'm nuts :mrgreen:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yep....Sarasota Fl..and when grabbing a multicolored snake in the dark, you really better know a kingsnake from a coral snake...:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I used to keep snakes. Kings, Pueblan milk snakes, and hognoses were big favorites.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
when grabbing a multicolored snake in the dark, you really better know a kingsnake from a coral snake
Red touches yellow, kills a fellow

Red touches black, you're all right Jack!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have pit tagged corals. They are beautiful but aggressive snake when being handled. Always tube them. Actually, back in the day, they were the only southeastern hot that I felt uncomfortable handling because of their size. I have been tagged 2X by venomous snakes but luckily not by corals or an EDB.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I've been bitten twice. Once by a timber rattler, and once by a copperhead. The rattlesnake gave me a warning. Not so much with the copperhead.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Bites are no bueno!!! At least mine were not fun. Burned and hurt like hell from the swelling!! Yes, a copperhead and a cottonmouth for me. Both were not, for once, because of my stupidity. I was conducting a study of timbers in east Texas a few years ago as part of a larger study looking at RCW habitat and had this one wander through my gear and feet as I was taking notes. It had been released about 20 minutes earlier a good distance away. Did not hear it on a very windy day. You can see the toe of my boot in the lower center.
12747459_10207922699722311_1579625383281430811_o-600x450.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hunted them for an older gentleman who made belts. $50/snake was good money at 16, but the pain and burning were horrible. More swelling from the copperhead though.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Hunted them for an older gentleman who made belts. $50/snake was good money at 16, but the pain and burning were horrible. More swelling from the copperhead though
I assume it was the rattlers he was using for belts?
I've been making hat bands out of copperheads for years. But belts? I don't think you'd ever find a copperhead that big.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I don't think you'd ever find a copperhead that big.
No, none that big, that would be terrifying. 8O He would send us after the rattlesnakes, just happened to encroach upon a copperhead's territory.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We enjoyed Greta's reaction! A bunch of years ago, when my girls were little, I also found a King snake sunning itself on our driveway. It was about that size. I snagged it and we kept it as a pet for about six months. In that time it grew to be about 4' long and we fed it mice. I remember the first time it ate a mouse, it was fascinating. A buddy who is a Park Ranger warned me to not lose it in the house, as they are a master of hiding. I kept it in the garage in an aquarium with screen lid. One day I came home to find that one of the girls didn't put a brick on the lid and the snake was gone, never saw it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.