PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

King snakes will eat other snakes. I was a member of the area herpetological society as a kid and kept a number of snakes. I had a California King that I raised to be an adult, and would on occasion catch small queen snakes in the creek and feed them to him.
When that same snake was a juvenile I had thrown a fuzzy in for it that ended up being too big. He constricted it and tried to eat it, but it was too big. I threw the dead fuzzy in with two adult black rat snakes that decided they both wanted some and the one started to eat over the head of the other. I had to pull the head off the one and then cut the mouse in half with a pair of scissors. Greta would have loved that one. :)

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Up here where I'm at there are just three kinds of snakes basically. All of them pretty benign. The worst one is potentially dangerous if you're old or sick... Is that one dangerous Zack?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Is that one dangerous Zack?
Nope...totally harmless...We have 50 different snakes in Florida...only 6 are venomous...but a couple of the non-venomous ones are big enough to eat a small deer...:)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
A King snake is good to have around a farm, kills other snakes, mice, had a big one that lived in my Grandmaws old wash shed. Unfortunately my oldest son visited me and went in the wash shed, I heard a terrible ruckus, son shovel in hand had the 6 ft King snake down but snake had the upper hand, he yelled I watched and the snake gave him hell, finally slipped away thru the cracks in the old wash shed and I never saw my pal no more. Son says to me That booger was strong. I know used to play with them, Hubert Lee and me as boys put one in rural mailbox,it did not want to go in, we wrasselled that Boger in, when the rural carrier a woman opened that box it jumped in her car. That's the only time Grandpaw laid a hand on me. :laughat:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The only good Copperhead is a dead Copperhead. The same for Water Moccassins.
It's all about separation. Keep 'em down on the bayou, in the deep parts, and we're all fine. Invite them into the suburbs? Bad news.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Fortunately, Greta has a great sense of humor....after she stops screaming!
If you want to be the ultimate practical joker Zack, tomorrow when she gets up, let her come down to find you looking under the sofa. When she asks you what you're doing, tell her you lost the snake in the house! :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By complete coincidence, I just caught a young garter snake in my fire pit. New pet!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Today, in many parts of these United States, your ass is likely to get sued for the trauma (!) experienced by said mail carrier.... Funny as hell, though. My Dad told of the paper bag full of Royal Yacht on the front stoop- light it on fire and watch the homeowner come out and stomp on it.
Favorite, though, was nasty guy who harangued my Dad and his friends, so one Winter night they filled his boots (left on the porch) with urine. Probably nicer in the frozen state!

Status
Not open for further replies.