PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have aspirations, even started a list of blends I had and the pipe I smoked them in. It’s been years since I looked at it. I’m very informal about it all, pick a pipe I like for this smoke, same thing for the blend. I’m not thinking much about pipe and blend matching. I am clearly not maximizing anything here. It’s a bit odd, I’m a Science, Math, data guy who values reflection but I’ve gone a different direction with this. I wonder how long before I realize the error of my ways?

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I used the favorites list on tobaccoreviews.com to keep my current list of blends I like. I also use the wishlist function to keep a list of those that I want to try. From there I start to narrow down what I will actually buy by keeping a shortlist of that list on smokingpipes.com.

For tobaccos I am currently trying or have tried I keep a note file on my iPad to track my experiences. This works for me at this stage because I don‘t have that many blends on the go And my cellar is not that wide yet.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I have aspirations, even started a list of blends I had and the pipe I smoked them in. It’s been years since I looked at it. I’m very informal about it all, pick a pipe I like for this smoke, same thing for the blend. I’m not thinking much about pipe and blend matching. I am clearly not maximizing anything here. It’s a bit odd, I’m a Science, Math, data guy who values reflection but I’ve gone a different direction with this. I wonder how long before I realize the error of my ways?

“in G-d we trust... all others bring data.”

I have degrees in finance and predictive analytics. I like to quantify anything I can!

• Love
Reactions: AlabamaDan

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“in G-d we trust... all others bring data.”

I have degrees in finance and predictive analytics. I like to quantify anything I can!
Right! My wife is always kidding me about the analysis that goes into decisions and pipe smoking has so much opportunity for this and I’m really not bothering at all.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Trying to avoid any paper or digital trail. Miserably failing in digital front, but I'm happy to say I haven't logged any tobacco or pipe logs.

Reactions: BROBS

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I know that as time passes I’ll forget what tobacco I’ve tried and whether I liked it or not. My memory just isn’t as good as it used to be. I can’t do it with cigars or wine. Before I get into pies very far I thought I’d try something different. I was thinking of keeping a log of the tobacco I buy and smoke. Anyone else do this? Should I have two logs - one for my inventory and one for the smoke experience or try and combine them? What columns should I have? I’d love to hear others experience.
That's a great idea if you can keep up..I started with an inventory list on paper( I know lazy ass, should have used Excel) but anyways...know I have got some here some there, some old some new and have no FKg clue!

I hope you stay on your notes because if you stick around here long enough you'll be A) broke and B) inundated with blends! Samples flying all over the place, mysterious gifters dropping boxes of loot...

So I welcome you to the insanity!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just commit things to memory.

I have an Excel file for the 'cellar' contents and quantities. Not gonna use any apps or online tools: I don't need any more snooping into my habits.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
I've also been trying to figure this out. So far I have an Excel spreadsheet with everything I have, the amounts, all the Tobacco Reviews info, and my 1-5 rating. Will add more as I think if it.
I think I might move all of that to a binder, though, so I can take longhand notes as I smoke each blend. Seems a cooler way of going about it.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
In the February issue of The Pipe Collector, NASPC's magazine, Mike Zicha and Fred Hanna have publisher very useful and detailed evaluation forms/logs that are perfect for both new and seasoned pipe smokers.
Again, you must become a member/subscriber to the North American Society of Pipe Collectors, now!

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I’ve been toying with a similar idea. I have an excel spreadsheet with the minimum of info for tracking what’s in my cellar but I haven’t kept anything beyond that. So I went out and bought a notebook. This is what I’ve settled on so far.
61CFB2A6-7263-4D0E-8B83-21AAE2850F91.jpeg
And my first log, although incomplete.
D1DF149D-73A8-4CDA-B3D3-7952CAFFEBCC.jpeg
I plan on writing the manufacturer’s description or Tobacco Reviews notes for the description and jotting my own notes as space allows, but I haven’t fully settled on that yet.

• Love

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
good idea.
I would prefer a paper log to online etc..
however it's a lot of work.
I like the idea of @Frozenoak ... however I might make the pages and print them out for a binder... to fill in as I smoke/acquire tobacco.

just what I need... another thing to do.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I prefer the paper method as well. I think I'll just keep a list of those I like and those I don't want to try again. Simple and to the point. I may make a couple comments under them, but I think I've decided on a simple list.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m at both ends of the spectrum at the same time. I meticulously maintain and update a spreadsheet of what’s in my cellar, i.e., sealed tins and jars set aside for aging, including taking off tins or jars that I open to smoke. On the other hand, I have only the vaguest idea of what I have “open” in jars unless I go and physically look in the couple of bins where I keep those. I must have over 30 open tins. Same goes for my blending tobaccos.

hymnchimney

Might Stick Around
Feb 18, 2020
Morganton, NC
I have exactly one tobacco log in my collection.
In the past some here have referred to it as "horse dong tobacco", which isn't doing it any favors in my opinion.

img_0116.jpg
It's so veiny!

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
I use an Excel file that just keeps up on my inventory so I can quickly look for any shortfalls in the cellar. Name and quantity is all I keep so far and I refer to it when tobacco goes on sale to keep the cellar balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.