PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I know that as time passes I’ll forget what tobacco I’ve tried and whether I liked it or not. My memory just isn’t as good as it used to be. I can’t do it with cigars or wine. Before I get into pies very far I thought I’d try something different. I was thinking of keeping a log of the tobacco I buy and smoke. Anyone else do this? Should I have two logs - one for my inventory and one for the smoke experience or try and combine them? What columns should I have? I’d love to hear others experience.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I journal at the end of every day, and it includes things like new blends and how I enjoyed them, farming practices, thoughts on my open files for work, etc. It's a great way to keep track of blends I enjoyed, and what pipes I smoked them out of. I don't keep track of inventory very well, but I tend to smoke a whole tin of tobacco after I open it. It helps limit the cellar jars, and gives me a broader view of the blend itself.

Give it a shot! I use an unlined Moleskine notebook. Plus it's pretty meditative to do while you're smoking your last pipe of the day, especially if you tend to have a lot of irons in the fire.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I keep two lists on the phone. One for a star-rating and tiny, two sentence review. It often includes a sentence reminding me how much to dry or to prepare the tobacco for best results.

I also keep a separate inventory list. It just has the name and genre of the blend.

The reviews are sorted alphabetically to make finding a review easier. The inventory is sorted by genre, as when I want to browse for a tobacco, I generally start by picking that first.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
For a long time I kept a simple pen and paper log of the blends I have tried. I have been neglectful of that for some time, however.
What I do maintain is a spreadsheet tracking what tobaccos I have stashed away. I don't use this for ratings, because nothing is in here that I haven't smoked and liked well enough to try to age, or simply build up a reserve.
I also maintain another spreadsheet (I should probably combine this into one document) to help me keep track of things I want to order. I have just started it to make simple comments on new blends I have tried.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I keep a word file with all my blends in alphabetical order, each one showing relevant information (blend contents, price, vendor, etc.) and a notes section with my various impressions. Separate document contains a wishlist, and a third document contains all rejected blends with accompanying notes.
(I'm just more comfortable with text files than spreadsheets.)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I stand in front of my cellar everyday, Pipe in mouth, mind palace engaged and Keep a running tally. I smoke the same stuff all the time, so I might not need to worry. But there are those wascallly Latakia mixtures. I can totally see myself saying “Have I tried that?” In about 10 years from now.

I came up with a system of saving tin art/bands. I smoke C&D and GLP exclusively, European tins are rare in my cellar. I created a scrap book of labels that I use to keep a tally; It’s corny but it works. Plus I have original tin art, as well as the new versions that pop up from time to time.

I also don’t keep notes of tobacco flavors and blend notes. If a blend is good I write a review, post it, and forget about it.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
I have exactly one tobacco log in my collection.
In the past some here have referred to it as "horse dong tobacco", which isn't doing it any favors in my opinion.

img_0116.jpg

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I keep an excel spreadsheet with a few notes on my smoke (pipe, tobacco, overall experience) and it also keeps track of how many bowls per week I have smoked. I want to keep it under 2.5 bowls per week, on average. Sometimes I don’t smoke for 2 weeks, others I may smoke 3-4 bowls in a week. I have formulas in the spreadsheet that calculate it automatically so I always know where I stand.

I am a math/statistics guy, so I like messing around with this kind of stuff. But it does prove helpful in allowing me to reflect on which tobacco/pipe combos work best and keeping my smoking frequency within my self imposed limit.

cheers
Drew

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I keep a mental note of all the tobaccos I enjoy, and I can pick out what tobaccos are which just by smelling them (ones that I have opened personally). I dont have any markers or names on my jars, and I have about 30+ open right now. Alot of the Balkans I have are similar, but I can tell the difference based on the cut of the tobacco and also which ones I smoke more often!

With today's day and age it's easy to add tobaccos to a favorite list. I know SP does this and I have all the blends I enjoy there.

I do however have a excel sheet with all the pipes I've ordered and what tobaccos I smoke out of each one. Some are dedicated to a single blend and others are for a specific type-- English/Balkan, Va/Per, VA's, Aros, Burley, Dark Fired Burley, Navy Blends

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I stand in front of my cellar everyday, Pipe in mouth, mind palace engaged and Keep a running tally. I smoke the same stuff all the time, so I might not need to worry. But there are those wascallly Latakia mixtures. I can totally see myself saying “Have I tried that?” In about 10 years from now.

I came up with a system of saving tin art/bands. I smoke C&D and GLP exclusively, European tins are rare in my cellar. I created a scrap book of labels that I use to keep a tally; It’s corny but it works. Plus I have original tin art, as well as the new versions that pop up from time to time.

I also don’t keep notes of tobacco flavors and blend notes. If a blend is good I write a review, post it, and forget about it.
That’s cool!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think for a person who doesn't write much otherwise, which wouldn't include many Forums members, logging in pipe tobacco blends could be enriching of the smoking itself. I'm a little too "into" writing otherwise, so I think it would amount to excess, though I have often wished I had a list of the blends I've smoked. Mostly I remember pretty well, but a few I recognize but am not certain. Some I know I've smoked but I can't remember much about them. So it is a good idea, but probably not for everyone or even most. It could be like taking too many pictures during a travel vacation. You end up with a good slide show, but you don't have much of a travel experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.