PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I won this pipe and a Dr.Grabow on Ebay and started a resto on the KBB tonight. The stem was stuck so I put the pipe in the freezer for about 2 hours, then took it out and tried to remove the stem.
No such luck

So out came the pipe cleaners and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

I could not blow through or get a pipe cleaner through the pipe.

So I kept working a wet pipecleaner down through the stem. Eventually alot of the nasties can out and I was able to separate the pieces.

This pipe was a bit different inside and I am not sure of the correct terminology for the piece inside but it had a hole that was plugged so I dug out the hole with a dental pick.

It that piece is very dirty and I am asking that I should clean it with.

I read that the stem can be polished with toothpaste and am still looking for something to clean the bowl up with.

I will do some more research on this but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mark
So here is the pipe

After getting it apart this piece had a plugged hole

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Good luck. I've done all my own restoration and cleanings. I just attack the internals with grain alcohol and pipe cleaners. The outside gets scrubbed with damp paper towels. The stem I use micro mesh pads until shiny again. Everything gets waxed and the stem gets oiled.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
You can use alcohol and very fine steel wool on the aluminum stinger. Use your dental pick dipped in alcohol to get in between the threads of the tenon. I can't quite tell from the picture, but you may be able to pull off the tip of the stinger once you get some of the crud off. Then you can properly get a pipe cleaner through the stem and the screw tenon. The stinger should be removable.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I used my dental pick, steel wool and alcohol and worked away at the stinger. I eventually pulled it out.

Now when I used the steel wool the tenon was a real loose fit in the mortise.

How to solve that?

Spread the metal tenon apart a bit so it is a snug fit and spread the stinger channel so it fits snugly in the tenon.
Now use a Magic Eraser on the stem, then toothpaste with a paper towel and buffed with a dishcloth.

For the bowl I used my 99% isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel and then let it dry followed by a coating of olive oil and buffed with another dishcloth.

It looks good but could be better as I research other methods to use, but for now it's good to go.

It was fun to do as a first pipe resto.

If someone has other methods feel free to chime in.
Mark

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
As far as other methods.....I've used a lighter on vulcanite to remove oxidation. You still needed to use an abrasive to get it off and honestly I'm not sure if its any better then a little bleach and water.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
Soft scrub (non-bleach) on the stem works incredibly well I've used Oxy clean for years and hands down the soft scrub is better,on the bowl I use Method wood polish it removes dirt and if left on bowl char and build up it softens for easy removal without removing to much of the stain.(being non-toxic is also a bonus)

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
So with the lighter do you actually let the flame tough the stem or just use the heat and then wipe it off?

I was amazed at how the combination of a magic eraser, toothpaste and olive oil rejuvenated the stem. There is still a few marks but I think I need to get some of those little sanding pads that I see mentioned in here to sand them out.
I'll look for Soft Scrub too. Always up for trying something new !!
I'll be giving it a smoke sometime today and report back.

How will I know if it needs the salt treatment? Bitter or foul taste?
I'm going to see if I can find some Method wood polish.

The question of the wood charring on top of the bowl was one that I was going to ask because no matter what I did I could not get rid of that around the bowl rim.
I was on a Hogan's Heroes marathon last night in the mancave and while I sat watching I was polishing up the pipe with a teatowel (don't tell Mrs. Wolfe !!!)

I polished that pipe through 4 episodes !!!
Mark

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I just finished smoking a bowl in this pipe. And this was also the first time I smoked a briar pipe.

Being a newbie with only 4 smokes on my cob and not having any other briar to compare it to, all things went well I think.

I didn't get any bad taste out of it, just the sweetness of the Trout Stream, pretty well on each pull (now that I have figured out the taste thing).

I found the bowl a little hotter to the touch, but maybe that was me going a bit too fast.

No tongue bite either (I must be getting lucky with this, I'm sure it will happen sometime).

I got about a 20 minute smoke, which I thought was pretty decent because the bowl looks smaller than my cob.

The only negative is that the part of the stem that was in my mouth has coloured yellow, not sure if this was due to me clenching the pipe with my teeth.
So overall I am happy with this pipe, but I still need to find some Soft Scrub and Method wood polish for the rim.

Forgot to look today while I was out and about :roll:
Mark

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
You let the flame touch. I used a candle.

I stopped using salt...now I just use cotton balls and vodka.
I worked halfass on a Hilson stem this weekend and I finally smoked it. I really enjoyed it, I'm going to have to go back and do it right.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
When using flame watch the stem logo area you can destroy it quick.I use a bic lighter once and a while but you have to keep the flame moving at all times never leave it in one spot too long it can burn & distort the shape very fast.The soft scrub is safer I put it on with a children's tooth brush and let it set for 10 minutes then go back with the tooth brush and a little water and scrub like crazy I use a magic eraser in between then rinse off with water and buff.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Those look great I need to find some soft scrub and Methods polish.
Edit. I just looked up Methods an Amazon is yours in a spray bottle ??
Mark

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks Smoothsailing,
I am going to see if I can find this in a store up here, if not I can order off of Amazon.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.