PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
With the KBB in clover on it stamped and it says Kaywoodie also, it’s pre 1930’s most likely. I’ve got a couple hundred Kaywoodie but not a ton of early ones. I just had to date a 1926-29 shape though and remember that off top of my head.

• Love
Reactions: HoratioG

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
jguss:

Thank-you, Sir!
We’re actually looking at the story backwards which makes it a bit confusing. The background to the patenting of the pipe by Charles Lyon is told on Pipedia. The part that’s missing is what happened at the start of 1925. As demand exploded for the pipe as a function of Dawes’ campaign it clearly became necessary for an experienced manufacturer to take over production and sales; and that’s where KB&B enters the picture. See this trade snippet from the January 10, 1925 issue of the USTJ:

9491F2BB-7C1A-4244-BC30-F578A641EC64.jpeg

So any KB&B Lyon pipe will date from no earlier than about the beginning of 1925.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
jugss... I'll have to use that on Jon...

It’s a fair cop. I’ve seen Mother, Jugs & Speed over 200 times. I’ve gone through over a dozen Blu-ray dvds and spent almost $20,000 petitioning Criterion to clean up the original and add it to their collection for the sake of posterity.

Reactions: Briar Lee

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
jguss:

Any idea of what the "fire proof lining" was made?

No I don’t. In the patent Lyon was at pains to make his claims as broad as possible (as inventors invariably and rightly do) and did not specify what materials were to be used; he stated:

While I have illustrated and described the preferred form of construction for carrying my invention into effect, this is capable of variation and modification without departing from the spirit of the invention. I, therefore, do not wish to be limited to the precise details of construction set forth, but desire to avail myself of such variations and modifications as come within the scope of the appended claims

Having said all that it wouldn't surprise me if asbestos, or something similarly noxious by the standard of our time, was employed. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time asbestos was used in a tobacco pipe. But again, the answer is I don't know.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Interesting! Very complex design with "bakelite" used in making it. Bekelite contains formaldehyde, which doesn't sound good to me. What I wonder is... how does it smoke? Hope we see a report on that in the near future. puffy

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That Cabinet pipe had a fixed bowl, unlike the Lyon.

Did they drill a hole downwards from the filled point on the shank?

67B73A91-E8E8-45DB-86A7-C32B260F640E.jpeg

And was the shank separately attached to the bowl, or turned as one piece?

What a curiosity!

Vice President Charles Dawes

0F6C6908-3602-4728-AEF6-0758A87E407F.jpeg

He lived to age 85 smoking that contraption.:)

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
That Cabinet pipe had a fixed bowl, unlike the Lyon.

Did they drill a hole downwards from the filled point on the shank?

And was the shank separately attached to the bowl, or turned as one piece?
By looking at the pictures in the link that @huntertrw posted earlier in the thread that shows a smooth version, the answers to your questions appear to be no and turned as one piece.