PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
Recently ran across some nice condition Kaywoodie pipes but I don’t know anything about them. Does anybody have experience with them, are they decent smokers?

Reactions: BROBS

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
3E2F2406-47A2-4855-8389-768282404B9D.pngI just picked up what I believe to be a 1936 Poker. It’s definitely pre-1950’s because it has a 4 hole stinger. I own one from the 80’s as well, with a 3 hole stinger. — Kaywoodies are difficult pipes to accurately date. They’ve been made for so long and have so many shapes.

Back in their day, Kaywoodies were considered high end pipes and were the equal to Dunhill. Over time they became a common drug store pipe. But their older pipes are high quality.

As for smoking. The stingers almost force you to sip your pipe. The draw is not as open as some like. But they do smoke very well. I personally enjoy them and will not hesitate to add more.

Super Grain 5102 Poker

Last edited:

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I have 3 older kaywoodie pipes. 2 of them are my two best smoking pipes, and the third one I rarely smoke for some reason. But when I do smoke it, it's pretty good. Draw is a little tight as I recall, but I could also just pack too tight.

Reactions: BROBS

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have 3 older kaywoodie pipes. 2 of them are my two best smoking pipes, and the third one I rarely smoke for some reason. But when I do smoke it, it's pretty good. Draw is a little tight as I recall, but I could also just pack too tight.

I do like them. I can insert a pipe cleaner all the way to the ball mid smoke to remove any moisture, just as I do with my filterless pipes.

And the stinger keeps any small pieces of tobacco from reaching my mouth/throat on the draw.

Mine always smoke clean and cool. Good pipes indeed.
BE6F5B58-A2E8-499B-8765-E1841354D27C.jpeg

2329B20A-F9EB-4CD4-9C8E-3EF9EF9CC9EE.jpeg

Last edited:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Eti - Kaywoodies, new and old, are greatly undervalued. I have several dozen and some of them are my best puffers. The stingers in the older pipes don't bother me though I prefer pipes without metal in there. The current production uses very old wood: I was in the Kaywoodie factory for one of the NorthEast Slow Smoke Holiday Parties and there were giant bins of stummels and briars. The handmades by Bill Feuerbach are best buys in the artisan world.