PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Plum Pudding by Seattle Pipe Club is an English blend known by all. Its popularity is not unwarranted either. The delicious combination of Cyprian Latakia, rich, ripe Virginias, invigorating Orientals, sweet and spicy Louisiana Perique, and a dash of mellow toasted black Cavendish is pleasantly complex. The smokiness adds desire to true lovers of Latakia. Some would say Plum Pudding is the best it can be, and we shouldn't try to fix something not broken in the first place. Well, dare we introduce what will inevitably be a powerhouse in the tobacco industry: Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged! Just as it sounds, the blend was put in a bourbon barrel and allowed to age for a month. Beyond that, the barrel used for aging had only been relieved of its bourbon a mere two weeks prior. Talk about fresh! After aging, the tobacco is then pressed into the crumble cake you know today. The P&C staff knew immediately we had to secure some for our faithful, so we did. We may have packed a pipe or two in the process and let us be some of the first to say WOW! The bourbon is ever-present to the nose and gives a brilliant burst of flavor at first light before shifting into the background to tease your taste buds through the very last puff.

Order 6 TIns plus had a 15% off code....

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I've got 3 tins already as well. I ordered them with a couple tins of double pressed latakia as well. Can't wait to try both.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
So just to get this straight tobacco is aged in a bourbon barrel for 1month....meanwhile fine bourbon takes 10-23 years???? Sounds like a cash grab to me.

It may be new for tobacco (or not, I don‘t know), but “finishing“ whisky in a bourbon or sherry barrel is common. If the barrel is first-run, meaning it has only been used once, for bourbon, it imparts flavour to the whisky quickly, and a matter of weeks is all it takes.

I have no idea if it works the same way for putting tobacco in a bourbon barrel, or if this is just a gimmick. Jim seemed to like it.

Reactions: Bowie

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Industry wise it seems like there is a new blend coming out every week for the past few months...
Whatever logic had people saying that the upcoming FDA regulations would stop new blends coming out hasn’t seemed to have the effect one would think.

Either manufacturers are comfortable with selling out of these blends before the deadline comes, or they’re not so worried about the cost of the new testing that will be required. Frankly, I wish there were more transparency about it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It makes some sense given all the hand-wringing over the loss of Frog Morton's Cellar. I'm surprised it took this long. In any event, the expensive fancy stuff is what hoarders crave now that the Götterdämmerung is upon us.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Whatever logic had people saying that the upcoming FDA regulations would stop new blends coming out hasn’t seemed to have the effect one would think.

Either manufacturers are comfortable with selling out of these blends before the deadline comes, or they’re not so worried about the cost of the new testing that will be required. Frankly, I wish there were more transparency about it.

What about "Substantial Equivalence"

Read here -

I assume it means a tobacco blend can be considered Substantially Equivalent" to a "Grand fathered" blend,
or when your applying for approval for a new blend, a whole list of them can be considered "Substantially Equivalent" and therefore cheaper to approve.

-TimPiper

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
What about "Substantial Equivalence"

Read here -

I assume it means a tobacco blend can be considered Substantially Equivalent" to a "Grand fathered" blend,
or when your applying for approval for a new blend, a whole list of them can be considered "Substantially Equivalent" and therefore cheaper to approve.

-TimPiper
Go fuck yourself FDA. Your a stones throw away from an Administration that will abolish your ass.

Well that sums up my morning wisdom on Tobacco Legislation. Sorry guys and gals, I’ll crack open a beer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.