PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
No. I'm in it for the variety. I don't think I've ever smoked the same blend more than once in a day, except away from home, traveling light.
Looking in the shoe box now and the days have been going something like: HH Pure VA, OGS, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro, ODF, Artisan's Blend, Solani ABF, Brown #4.
If the house was on fire, I'd grab the Doblones, Solani and Brown #4. Might be able to survive on those.
But, smoking only one would get boring and I'd end up back with cigars and puking in the river.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
There are absolutely people who do this, but they're not the kind of people to join an internet forum dedicated to talking about different kinds of tobacco
:wink: I wish they had the "laughing so hard I'm crying" emoji on this forum - would be appropriate here.
Last summer, I smoked only Carter Hall and cobs for two or three months. That streak ended as Fall approached and I got the Latakia bug again. For the most part I only smoke a handful of blends, and many on this forum might cause me to look about like a one-blend-smoker by comparison :puffy:
99% of my pipe smoking is one of the following:
Carter Hall

Hearth & Home Chestnut

Nightcap

Lane Ready Rubbed

Orlik Golden Sliced (looking for another bright VA though - there's a "stewy" note in here that I'm not really liking, though I love that same note in darker VAs)

Gawith Full Virginia Flake (probably my desert island tobacco)

Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't smoke a huge variety of stuff. Much like LawDawg, I stick to a handfull of blends for 90% of my smoking. Those blends are:
C&D Three Friars

GLP Westminster

HH Old Dark Fired

C&D Yorktown
I could easily stick to just these for the rest of my days and not be discontented.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I went on a cruise last year, one old pipe smoker only smoked one brand. It was a chewing tobacco Black Twist or something like that

He gets it from an indoor market up north were he lives.

I myself have five Tobacco’s I like and like the variety, not sure I could just stick to one.

One thing I am sure of I don’t want to experiment on future blends, it’s

A. Disappointing in most cases

B. Expensive

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
There are absolutely people who do this, but they're not the kind of people to join an internet forum dedicated to talking about different kinds of tobacco.
Yup. I have a friend who will try a new aromatic if I offer a sample, but otherwise only buys and smokes Captain Black Original. As far as I know, he doesn't spend any time reading or writing about pipe smoking.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I remember, 40 plus years ago, looking at the selection of a hundred or so tinned tobaccos they had on the shelf, shaking my my head and saying, “That’s too many pigs in too many pokes for me!”

Instead, I went to the shop’s blends where I could see, smell and even taste before I bought, finally settling on Tinder Box’s Black Russian Blend, that I smoked exclusively for many years.

Unfortunately the b&m closed, then another and another, so I bought larger and larger amounts to sustain me between shop visits, so the last one that I had ready access to closed a couple of years ago. (Near my sister’s place in Cape Cod.)

So I’m having to adjust...

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
My grandfather only smoked Captain BLack as far as I know. If I had stocked up on a lifetime supply of it I would probably only smoke 5100.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just one tobacco.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54DL0DxZVA
Actually the lyrics apply to an ice cream from the U.K but the product name could certainly be replaced with 'Just one tobacco, give it to me' with all apologies to the Walls Ice Cream Company! :rofl:

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
I go through stages were I will be stuck on a single blend but it seems to change throughout the year depending on what I’m feeling and also the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.