PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I've been doing some retooling of my lathe in the shop over the past couple of weeks and haven't really had time to make any pipes. Just completed this one today. Managed to take some of the lessons learned in Vegas and incorporate a few of them into this one....Pretty happy with the results...Ended up 5" long, .8" width on tobacco chamber and 1.15" deep...

2a5gh2u.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
zack, it looks real nice,how about some more pics. I would like to see the top of the bowl, any birdseye there? What is the stem application made of, that looks very cool.
We still on for tomorrow night, what time you want me there?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Can you send those lessons learned and instructions on how to make those lathe mods to me? Preferably in PDF... :lol:

Very nice work!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
1)Harris, Dinner's at 6...The shank application is thirty year old ivory.

2) Duckfat- I've used mastodon, fossil walrus teeth, and antique ivory...this is ivory from a 30 year old stash of mine.

3)
Can you send those lessons learned and instructions on how to make those lathe mods to me?
- actually put a DRO on my lathe and a quick change tool post...on the lessons learned- that was a matter of hanging out with the best carvers in the country and trying to figure out why my work's not that good yet...:)

4) More pics...

sti8.jpg

2a7vj2q.jpg

2ln72j4.jpg

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Zach that is an absolutely stunning pipe, your craftsmanship is impeccable.

~Ron

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Zach, you are a master at what you do. Your design is fantastic and you have such good briar to work with.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
- actually put a DRO on my lathe and a quick change tool post...on the lessons learned- that was a matter of hanging out with the best carvers in the country and trying to figure out why my work's not that good yet...:)
Well,I went to a QCTP a while back although I don't have DRO on anything,except for one 6" caliper, but I prefer my dial caliper. Now to get to where those pipe carvers are hanging out...

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
loooooooooovely, what a balanced shape!
Zack, I have been trying to track down mammoth tusk for an upcoming pipe, any clues on where to get a small quantity? You have inspired me to hurry up and get a motor for my lathe that has been neglected for a few years!

Status
Not open for further replies.