PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I have been trying to track down mammoth tusk for an upcoming pipe, any clues on where to get a small quantity?
I used to buy a lot of ivory, mammoth, and fossil walrus teeth from BooneTrading- looks like they're out of stock at the moment. You might try Stanscarving- check under materials for sale- he has a lot of mammoth knife scales about 5/16" thick- cheaper buying it like that cause you have a lot less waste...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Bradley, it's obviously time to break out the chainsaw...Actually thinking about doing something different- maybe a Lovat, 6.5"length 1" wide chamber 1.8" deep with a black and white ebony stem inlay....might be kinda nice. Might do it smaller first to make sure the proportions are right...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Very, very nice, Zack. I especially like the rim and the balance with the bottom half of the bowl. I'd like to see how the stem transitions to the bowl. Good choice in stain. Care to share how you did it? It's very natural yet shows of the wood in a warm and welcoming tone.
You should be quite pleased.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Woodsroad, that's a chocolate Fiebings stained and sanded back twice. Two more applications of mahoghany. All of them burned in with flame. Finished up with a couple of applications of Carnauba wax...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm always curious about stuff like this: Did you previsualize this pipe, or did it evolve as you worked on it (or a little of both, or...) ?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Actually sketched it out at the beginning on paper- that let me scale it up and down in photoshop...stayed pretty true to the shape, but adjusted the stem to give it some balance. Once you have a paper design, you can cut it out and align it on the block to get the best grain orientation.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Zack, for your first Lovat I would suggest going 6.25- 6.5 inches long, 1.85-1.95 bowl height, 1.50-1.65 bowl depth and .75 inside bowl width. That would make it to be about a standard group sized pipe perfect for flakes. A 1" interior bowl width is more for English blends and not flakes. A nice saddle stem made of Cumberland would also go nicely. Once it is made we can fire it up with some 2007 Stonehaven. I have one of my Rad Lovats dedicated to Stonehaven and it smokes great in it. I will bring the Rad Lovat and we can do a side by side comparison.
Those other pics are great, the top off the bowl came out great. The draft hole appears to be about .0001 MM's off to the left, you might want to work on that. :nana:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Harris, you bring a few pounds of Stonehaven, I may give it to you...and the draft hole is frikkin' perfect!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks Chris & Numbersix!... Oh...and someone had a question about the weight- that one came in at 31 grams...

Status
Not open for further replies.