PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My question is how many of you use your Falcon without the pipe cleaner ring in the Humidome base? Just seems an unnecessary mess. How many bowls to break it in?
no need for those rings the humidome cools down the pipe enough. With those rings most blends loss a lot of flavor. And as far as breaking in same as any other pipe really. Enjoy the falcon they're awesome.

Unhinged

Lurker
Dec 1, 2020
I recently acquired a Falcon bent chrome stem and put a rusticated Plymouth bowl on it. A much older cousin of mine, a big, truck-driving farmer and idol of my young years, smoked bent Falcons exclusively for decades (it was rare to see him without his Falcon hanging out of his craw) and I picked one up as a tribute to him, and to see what they're like.

I've only used the rings so far, never smoked it without. I get fine flavor through the pipe, and find myself reaching for the Falcon often (but not always) over the few other pipes I own. The rings trap a ton of moisture, as evidenced by the brown rings on the paper towel when I squeeze them out after a bowl. The pipes are easy and quick to thoroughly clean after each bowl, too. You can return the stem to like-new in under a minute if you want.

So far, I'm in favor of the rings, and I have a supply of about 75 of them on hand. Smokingpipes.com sells a 25 pack for about $2.64, so ten cents a piece is no big deal, and they seem to last for at least 7-10 bowls with nary a gurgle, until they just get a bit pathetic and should be replaced..

I'm going to try the Falcon without the rings and compare the experience as far as flavor, draw, etc, but for now I'm going to say the rings, and the Falcon pipe design in general, are a good combination, and the Falcon is a good, everyday, reasonably priced, unpretentious pipe that works and smokes very well. They seem to be sold out on a lot of sites right now though, and you kind of have to hunt to find them in stock.