PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I don't use the Falcon rings. When the tobacco goes out I let the bowl cool for a few minutes, remove the bowl and dump any moisture in the humidome before relighting. Just remember to let the bowl cool some before removing. Consistent removal of a hot bowl can effect the threads on the bowl over time and cause the bowl to be loose. I've had this happen to me. I only remove the bowl once while smoking a bowl. Usually at the mid bowl point.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
Rings were always more trouble than they are worth for me, no problems not using them. Dark stained bowls can be a little funky at first, just power through the taste for a few bowls and then you are off to the races.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Congrats on joining the brotherhood or sisterhood of Falconeers. I've been smoking these since 1972 and I love them. No rings for me- not necessary as I smoke dryish flakes. Ray47 is correct re taking care of the threads! Break in not much of an issue. Since these smoke cool you might notice condensed resins collecting around the smoke hole in the bottom of the bowl. A careful scrape with a penknife will keep it flowing freely. Enjoy! Collecting bowls is fun and relatively inexpensive.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
a bit of cotton from a cotton ball works better then the rings. Though no I don't use any filters in general. Don't see a real benefit. Though I think it really depends on the smoker. I get less flavor. Though what's awesome about the rings and cotton trick is it doesn't effect the draw like most filters do.
I've said it before it always impresses me how much I dig my falcon especially when I consider it cost about a third as much as my pipes that are only superior in the looks department. O.k. I'd smoke it more but the bowl is kind of small.

Reactions: Birddog66 and edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
JoBo, seamaster, and others have it right. If you don't want to contend with a little pool of moisture in the humidome at the bottom of the bowl, a little ring of pipe cleaner cut to length and put in place of the moisture rings does the job. Not long ago, I ordered my first Falcon with no moisture rings, and the good people at Iwan Ries, who had Falcons on a good sale, made three rings for me out of pipe cleaners and sent them along -- no note required. I appreciated their care, and their faith that I'd figure out what the little pipe cleaner rings were for. But we've been doing business for a long long time. I think it is an excellent little pipe. I ordered the brown shank version because it looked less like a plumbing fixture, but that's just me. For some reason, I especially like Mixture No. 79 in it as a good pairing.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
My question is how many of you use your Falcon without the pipe cleaner ring in the Humidome base? Just seems an unnecessary mess. How many bowls to break it in?
I got my first Falcon last week and my other pipes haven’t seen much of a look in since. It came with two bowls (estate) and no rings. I might try a pipe cleaner ring to see what it does but I’ve had no issues so far. I ordered another bowl last night, I’m loving it, the looks too, I’m glad they’ve stuck to their original design and not pandered to criticism. Viva las Faclcon’s

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As noted by someone else, if you don't use a ring or a pipe cleaner ring, you will end up with a pool of moisture, condensation and/or drool, depending on how you smoke. So either use a ring/pipe cleaner or don't tilt the stem and dump it out.