Just A Thought on New Member Introductions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Jeesh! Obviously, to everyone else who reads this, we too say "welcome" and embrace new members. That is not what anyone is saying. Condorlover just wants them out of his feed so that he can spend more time following Chasingembers around. puffy
hey remember that time you had a stalker and when you confronted them they told you it was that other guy they were stalking (you know the one you where stalking). Well it's kind of like that time I did that to you. In other words Condor is actually following you.

hey remember that time you had a stalker and when you confronted them they told you it was that other guy they were stalking (you know the one you where stalking). Well it's kind of like that time I did that to you. In other words Condor is actually following you.
Best Sigh GIFs | Gfycat

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no problem with any of the new posts except for the folks who don't put down their where abouts. God, that's maddening.
KC, why does it bother you when people don't say where they are from. Maybe they are shy, maybe they feel uncomfortable telling complete strangers where they hang out. Maybe they have heard about your gang of pipe thieves who go coast to coast robbing people of their pipes. You are well known for this practice I hope you realize.

KC, why does it bother you when people don't say where they are from. Maybe they are shy, maybe they feel uncomfortable telling complete strangers where they hang out. Maybe they have heard about your gang of pipe thieves who go coast to coast robbing people of their pipes. You are well known for this practice I hope you realize.
Come on Harris. We've discussed this on here. 9 times out of ten, it is someone who doesn't put their location in their profile that then starts asking questions about B&M's or pipe clubs in their areas, without telling us where they are.
News Funny GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Come on Harris. We've discussed this on here. 9 times out of ten, it is someone who doesn't put their location in their profile that then starts asking questions about B&M's or pipe clubs in their areas, without telling us where they are.
News Funny GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
Cos, do you really think I could remember all that? I can't even remember what I had for dinner 2 nights ago. Just wait to you get some Dementia, I will bust your balls unmercifully if I can remember to do so. Sure pick on the old guy with mush for brains. .

Cos, do you really think I could remember all that? I can't even remember what I had for dinner 2 nights ago. Just wait to you get some Dementia, I will bust your balls unmercifully if I can remember to do so. Sure pick on the old guy with mush for brains. .
Ohhhhh, dementia... I thought that maybe you had some sort of brain hypoxia due to narcotic overdose. puffy
Sorry man. I am now officially too old to call it "early onset..." but feel free to bust my balls, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: edger and jpmcwjr

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't follow anyone about - I have experienced that and it is sort of creepy and weird in a Donald Pleasance sort of way. @Chasing Embers has a habit of making highly intelligent observations on things that I happen to agree with plus he smokes a meerschaum pipe that is way bigger than anything I've ever seen! It not my fault the rest of you are just boring! rotf

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Ohhhhh, dementia... I thought that maybe you had some sort of brain hypoxia due to narcotic overdose. puffy
Sorry man. I am now officially too old to call it "early onset..." but feel free to bust my balls, ha ha.
The early onset Dementia I was diagnosed with a number of years ago was strictly caused by abusing myself for over 50 years. I never thought I would see 50, never mind seeing 65 this December. I have no complaints. My 4 kids are doing well and they are all healthy so what more could I want.
My oldest daughter graduates law school in a couple of months and I am excited to have an attorney at my disposal again. I will wield her like Excalibur and my enemies will shit their pants when they see the name.

This is how I thought of doing it. I have noticed the huge influx of members these days. And yes you have to scroll past 100 new member threads to get anywhere. However I'm not sure of any other solution.

Bat signal away @admin

We owe them a warm welcome. It's nice to see new blood showing up. I learn a lot and remember a lot of stuff I now take for granted through the "New Eyes" of a nascent Piper (yes, I said Piper :) bite me.... rotf ).

It's pretty obvious that someone who seeks out a forum of likeminded individuals with which to share and contribute is pretty obsessed in the hobby. The only way we will broaden our base is through word of mouth. PM.com is the supreme vehicle for such an endeavor.

JMHO... puffy

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I definitely can’t keep up with all the new members but it is great to see so many people coming over to the dark side. So new members, if I don’t personally welcome you, please know, I’m happy to see each and every one of you and I really hope you all stick around.

That being said, I do like the idear of having 1 thread dedicated to new member introductions, I mean the part where we really get to know you is rarely in the intro page.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just went to latest discussions to see what it looks like - 2/20 are new member intro threads.

Now, of the other 18, only three were of any interest to me when I looked - please only put threads in latest discussions that I am interested in at the particular time I check it! :)

Seriously, as above, it's nice to see them pop up and nice to have a dedicated sub-forum and thread for each new member - makes it easy to keep track of replies, sometimes there are some discussions within other than "hi", etc. You go to the sub-forum and see a listing of the latest and their avatars and get a feel for what's new - that would be lost with just a thread that rambles on and . . . less welcoming!

IMO.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
We owe them a warm welcome. It's nice to see new blood showing up. I learn a lot and remember a lot of stuff I now take for granted through the "New Eyes" of a nascent Piper (yes, I said Piper :) bite me.... rotf ).

It's pretty obvious that someone who seeks out a forum of likeminded individuals with which to share and contribute is pretty obsessed in the hobby. The only way we will broaden our base is through word of mouth. PM.com is the supreme vehicle for such an endeavor.

JMHO... puffy
Absolutely my friend. I was once a new member here as well forget you not. I'm in no way bashing on the new members. Just understanding what was said in the OP. I am just too lazy to click on the individual thread sections. Like to have all the new stuff up first.

Status
Not open for further replies.