Just A Thought on New Member Introductions!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I hope the world will forgive me for being digitally illiterate! I was wondering if we could put all the new member 'Intro' posts onto one section. Perhaps it could be called 'New Member Introductions' or something of that nature. When I look at the forum fully 1/3 of the topics is someone new popping up and saying hello. This in itself is wonderful but I was wondering if it sort of crowds out other topics. It would be like have a new thread for each post on 'What are You Smoking'. Maybe I have missed something or perhaps the 'algo' is set to keep things rolling along. Anyway it was just a thought. Carry on with whatever you were doing!

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I hope the world will forgive me for being digitally illiterate! I was wondering if we could put all the new member 'Intro' posts onto one section. Perhaps it could be called 'New Member Introductions' or something of that nature. When I look at the forum fully 1/3 of the topics is someone new popping up and saying hello. This in itself is wonderful but I was wondering if it sort of crowds out other topics. It would be like have a new thread for each post on 'What are You Smoking'. Maybe I have missed something or perhaps the 'algo' is set to keep things rolling along. Anyway it was just a thought. Carry on with whatever you were doing!
If not mistaken it does have its own thread. That's where I was found and been finding other newcomers. It's just a thread in a thread I think lol. I'm not forum literate yet either.

Items pointed out above are forums and they exist for use.

I think what Condor is trying to say is have 1 thread for new member intros. With the influx we are experiencing, I am not sure it would work.

I totally get it about new member intros crowding out the latest topics. An option to help mitigate this might be to look at each forum separately instead of clicking on "What's New"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm used to the new member introductions as a category of posts, so I am content with this format, but that may just be habit. I try to respond to most of these original posts, though sometimes I put if off and miss a few. You can't tell who is really joining to post and conduct conversation, and who might just have one question or be angling to sell something or get one piece of information, so there is a certain amount of waste motion in welcoming members who won't be posting for long, or maybe at all. But it all may serve to promote the interest in pipe smoking, and that's not a bad effort. My "ask" would be, please don't join unless you intend to participate, of course.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was surprised by the uptick in new members since the update of the site. It seems as if it used to be maybe one or two a week, and now it seems more like one or two a day. To the degree that people continue to participate, this is all to the good. Better too much traffic than too little.

Has anyone thought about hazing new guys? I mean, it doesn't have to be anything derogatory, but maybe just buying some of the Lifers new pipes or sending us tins of tobacco. I mean, I would say packing our pipes for us and water rinsing our pipes, but that is so personal and would probably lead to violence... so... puffy maybe not.

Jun 27, 2016
The New Member Intro posts really should have a single thread.
IIRC, like it had been before. Much more chill.
I suspect at least some of these "new members" are actually external scam/info bots, or internal "traffic bots". Not saying that they are traffic bots, but most web developers offer traffic services as part of the package or for an additional fee.
In any case, a "Whats New" page spammed full of "new member" threads, legit or otherwise, looks fake & is off-putting.
Give them one thread, & everyone can still interact with them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you start off with the posts under the bell, top right, you'll avoid a raft of Intro posts. Then click on Forums, and choose some other topics.

I.e., Do not use "What's New" if seeing a lot of Intro posts is not to your liking. Many new member intros contain meaningful dialogue, and would be lost if it were one long thread.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Has anyone thought about hazing new guys? I mean, it doesn't have to be anything derogatory, but maybe just buying some of the Lifers new pipes or sending us tins of tobacco. I mean, I would say packing our pipes for us and water rinsing our pipes, but that is so personal and would probably lead to violence... so... puffy maybe not.
Yall can send me your pipes. I'll give them a thorough cleaning. Can't promise I'll send um back though ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.