Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Good evening. It's Exotique in the Andreas Bauer

Bulldog Facet. Best to all.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Frank! Glad to see you're back and posting. Haven't heard from you in a while and wondered why you slipped off the radar.
H&H's Louisiana Red in a GBD sandblasted pot.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Whoah...that McClelland Oriental #8 (green tins) in Dunhill Shell Quaint turned out to be one of those legendary smokes. You know, one of those ones that stands out even amongst other perfect smokes. The tobacco had been left out to dry (as if drying anything thoroughly in Nova Scotia air is ever possible.) for 3 days. I rubbed it till it was like crumble cake, gravity filled the pipe, topped with some dust and a light push of the thumb, charred and set out for a walk. I find this tobacco tastes terrible when over heated so I return due to wind off the harbour. A quick sip of the dregs from todays recently retired margarita shaker, Jet Li's Hero loaded in the DVD player, feet up, char, sit back and prepare for glory. First few puffs have DGT Va effects of burnt sugar and the oriental spicey sweet medicine seems to be coated in the honey of the burnt sugar of the Va...it is tasted with every puff. The harder you puff the more thick the Va gets and the sharper the spice from the orientals is. The spice seems to be cinnamon and clove with a bit of cumin and roasted orange peel. When you slow down and puff easily or even breath smoke, the spice does not go away but softens as does the Va to now deliver soft sugar and cooked oats. The spice being more mellow now with out the cumin, tastes of cinnamon and just a bit of clove but the orange peel flavour persists. Soft slow smoking seems to make the whole thing turn to more of a heavily buttered cinnamon raisin toast. The bit of latakia that always remians in the background doesn't yield camp fire effects, yet adds more of a roasted flavour to the whole presentation. As the 1 1/2 hour smoke comes to a final rest, a charcoal incense flavour begins to wrap the cinnamon toast and the orange peel flavour gets stronger. I am detecting a very very sweet smell in the air from the current smoke being generated by my pipe. I mean like perfume sweet. It goes out, and I am left with the taste of fine incense and orange cinnamon toast in my mouth and that last second blast of perfume is stuck to my clothes and hair. I will not soon forget this smoke.

sastultz

Lurker
Jul 5, 2010
Yow! And I thought my G.L.Pease Blackpoint in the Davis/Florov/Quality Briars Anniversary pipe was nice! Nova Scotia? I spent part of a summer near Berlin on the south shore many years ago. Beautiful place. Thanks for your post.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Wow Phil, that description of the Oriental #8 gave me an erection, and I've never smoked an Oriental tobacco before.
hail.gif

Well written indeed.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I agree with Hobie1dog's sentiments, if not his substance... Thanks for the interesting and thorough account of yor smoke, Phil.
Myself, it's Peter Stokkebye Black Currant Cavendish in a newly-refurbished Dr. Grabow Grand Duke estate that came with the rack I won on eBay a couple of weeks back. It's a pretty small bowl, perfect for a quick smoke. I am really enjoying the Black Currant. It's my second bowl out of a sample pack, and I might need to get a bulk amount of it as a regular thing.
Simon

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Phil, what a great review! Nice job writing that one up. Hope you have many more ecstasties. That's what this is all about.
Orient 996 from McClelland's Collector Series developed for Bob Hamlin's PCCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.