PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Damn, good lesson to learn. That place is fried. I have seen their specials but then everything is out of stock. I won't waste my time!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I ordered from them many years ago but was warned that part of their business model was exorbitant shipping costs. So I made it a large order to offset. They were correct, costs were pretty high, but I still haven't smoked through that order, LOL!
shipping was only 8 bucks....
their business model is insane pricing but not actually honoring any of it or having anything in stock...

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
They’ve never been the same since Lew stepped aside.
Correct...Lew's business model was the Best!!! the catalogs had the Honest stories about the Brands and what Lew did to make the deal...Since Imperial Brands purchased them...downhill...They no longer have Buy 4 cigars get 1 Free. The store in NJ...Prices are NUT'S as to NJ Tobacco Tax.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Years ago I took a drive to J&R's outlet along I-95 nearest me. At that time, the humidor was the biggest tobacco sales floor I'd ever seen, and their pipe tobacco was plentiful, not like cigars, but some good OTC blends and some Mac Baren and such, at highly competitive prices. It's far enough that I haven't made the trip since, but I have heard their whole inventory has changed, though I hadn't heard exactly how. Recently, when I wanted a tub of Granger, I checked out their web site. Their price was the lowest I'd seen, but since I heard they'd been through some changes, I didn't order from them, but from PC instead, which had a good price and delivered promptly on time. So it sounds like I made the right choice.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
BROBS this EXACT same thing happened to me, earlier in Jan. I have ordered quite a bit of pipes and tobacco from JR and have a JR Plus account. They usually mail quickly (some times the same day) and I receive my deliveries within 2 days on avg. When I did not get a shipping Notification, I was suspicious within a couple of days. I waited a week and was told that the VA#1 was in fact ”back ordered” but, they were showing one bag in the warehouse that she would send me. I waited another week with no shipment. I contacted customer service and spoke with a different rep. She could not explain why I was told what I was. She said the MB was “ on order”and she was not sure when it would arrive. I asked for a refund, which they did immediately credit my PayPal.

Now, my take on all of this. JR has been getting out of the pipe and tobacco business for several years and basically, every pipe related item on their site, I consider to be “clearance’. I told this to both CS reps and they claimed that this was not true. I have received some outstanding buys by using limited time discounts on top of pretty decent original pipes. When the MB VA #1 showed up at the first of Jan, I was surprised because it had not been in stock for probably close to a year. I noticed after placing the order and getting confirmation, the site subsequently showed “back ordered”. That same day several pipes showed available that, I was sure that I bought the last ones last spring. They have, as I told them, been having issues with long discontinued items showing as available. I don’t believe they were ‘scamming’. I just don’t think anybody knew how to fix the problem and the CS reps were either unaware of the longtime status of their pipe tobacco business or they have been told to deny it

Currently, no MB products are listed, none of the long discontinued pipes are listed, and they are now showing “out of stock” on the bargain 2-3 year old Capstan that I have been nabbing from them on the cheap. I was disappointed with the situation but, I will continue to do business with them. I have made some great buys and even “won” a free 5pack of some high end figurados about a week ago. I believe that they should be a little more “above board” with their commitment to being a pipe tobacco reseller but, I am still ahead of the ballgame.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Being employed by a company frequently lambasted on these forums, it's refreshing to see our competitors taking some heat for a change. But that still sucks, I'm sorry that happened to you, man. We've noticed somewhat of a decline on JR lately, I think they might be real understaffed. I'd love to see what their merch department looks like, and how their call center is run.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Being employed by a company frequently lambasted on these forums, it's refreshing to see our competitors taking some heat for a change. But that still sucks, I'm sorry that happened to you, man. We've noticed somewhat of a decline on JR lately, I think they might be real understaffed. I'd love to see what their merch department looks like, and how their call center is run.
I'm assuming you must work for P&C.
I have actually had great customer service with P&C for the most part, and will order again.
I just have learned to not use the free shipping because the UPS > USPS delivery process is crazy.
I have had only one issue customer service wise, and it was resolved immediately.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROBS this EXACT same thing happened to me, earlier in Jan. I have ordered quite a bit of pipes and tobacco from JR and have a JR Plus account. They usually mail quickly (some times the same day) and I receive my deliveries within 2 days on avg. When I did not get a shipping Notification, I was suspicious within a couple of days. I waited a week and was told that the VA#1 was in fact ”back ordered” but, they were showing one bag in the warehouse that she would send me. I waited another week with no shipment. I contacted customer service and spoke with a different rep. She could not explain why I was told what I was. She said the MB was “ on order”and she was not sure when it would arrive. I asked for a refund, which they did immediately credit my PayPal.

Now, my take on all of this. JR has been getting out of the pipe and tobacco business for several years and basically, every pipe related item on their site, I consider to be “clearance’. I told this to both CS reps and they claimed that this was not true. I have received some outstanding buys by using limited time discounts on top of pretty decent original pipes. When the MB VA #1 showed up at the first of Jan, I was surprised because it had not been in stock for probably close to a year. I noticed after placing the order and getting confirmation, the site subsequently showed “back ordered”. That same day several pipes showed available that, I was sure that I bought the last ones last spring. They have, as I told them, been having issues with long discontinued items showing as available. I don’t believe they were ‘scamming’. I just don’t think anybody knew how to fix the problem and the CS reps were either unaware of the longtime status of their pipe tobacco business or they have been told to deny it

Currently, no MB products are listed, none of the long discontinued pipes are listed, and they are now showing “out of stock” on the bargain 2-3 year old Capstan that I have been nabbing from them on the cheap. I was disappointed with the situation but, I will continue to do business with them. I have made some great buys and even “won” a free 5pack of some high end figurados about a week ago. I believe that they should be a little more “above board” with their commitment to being a pipe tobacco reseller but, I am still ahead of the ballgame.
how did you manage to speak to a rep????
I have called and called, and left a number to call back three times and can't get ahold of anyone.
try calling them and see?

they said the same thing that it's showing stock of old items... well why? someone fix it!

not even worth fooling with to save 10-20$

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I never just leave a number. If I am giving time to take care of a problem, I will devote some time to do so. I don’t want somebody calling me on my time. I probably waited 15-20 minutes for the first rep. I got through in just a couple of minutes the second time.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I feel fortunate, I’ve always had fine experiences with them. They had a lot of McClelland left after all the other places sold out, which I bought. Also got a good deal on some Diamond Crown cigars from them last year. They have good sales and stock on Escudo usually, which is another staple of mine. It has been probably a year since I’ve ordered from them though. Sorry this happened to you!

Reactions: dcon and Elric

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I never just leave a number. If I am giving time to take care of a problem, I will devote some time to do so. I don’t want somebody calling me on my time. I probably waited 15-20 minutes for the first rep. I got through in just a couple of minutes the second time.
was this a long time ago? I sat on the line for over 1/2 hour and finally left callback number.
I emailed and it took them 3 days to respond to the first one.
The place seems like it's falling apart.

Reactions: danimalia

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I used to stop in their B&M stores when I traveled in North Carolina 10-12 years ago. They were selling Sam Gawith tins for $6 each at the time nana That is just before SG became popular and unobtainable.
I used to drive by their outlet in Statesville a few times a year. Never stopped in, but when I finally decided to check them out this year I see they've shut down the physical location and are now online sales only?. Kicking myself, but since @BROBS online experience with them doesn't inspire much confidence, I'll just stick with SP and other online retailers that support this forum.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Correct...Lew's business model was the Best!!! the catalogs had the Honest stories about the Brands and what Lew did to make the deal...Since Imperial Brands purchased them...downhill...They no longer have Buy 4 cigars get 1 Free. The store in NJ...Prices are NUT'S as to NJ Tobacco Tax.
Haven't bought cigars in over 10 years or whenever Lew last ran it. Would always get my cigars from them back then. Loved their catalogues because of the stuff Lew wrote in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.