Jozef Behr : Best Tobacco for starters ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jozefbehr

Lurker
Jul 22, 2022
United Kingdom
I started smoking from last 1 years i never focused on the tobacco and its quality. So i like to your suggestion for the best tobacco for the starters .

Thanks in Advance,
Jozef Behr

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
What tobaccos have you tried so far and what about any of them did you like, or just which tobacco did you like even if you can't put your finger on why?

The question is so general that some more information may help, otherwise it's a complete shot in the dark as to what you may like vs. someone else.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
As I started pipe smoking, I got a tin of sweet aro another some pure Virginias. Both burned my tongue more or less, while puffing like a choo-choo train. As I bought the Peterson mixture 965 it was a game changer. No tongue bite, cool smoke and a full taste I considered as an idea of what pipe tobacco could be.

So I would recommend those Latakias, English or Irish blends, for a newbie as a start instead of any aromatics or most of the Virginias.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
As I started pipe smoking, I got a tin of sweet aro another some pure Virginias. Both burned my tongue more or less, while puffing like a choo-choo train. As I bought the Peterson mixture 965 it was a game changer. No tongue bite, cool smoke and a full taste I considered as an idea of what pipe tobacco could be.

So I would recommend those Latakias, English or Irish blends, for a newbie as a start instead of any aromatics or most of the Virginias.
And just me of course, but I also didn’t “get” most aromatics a couple of years ago - lighter English and burley components were the easiest to “get” and Virginias took some time to appreciate. Now I’m mostly Virginias and aromatics but find that I can appreciate differences more than I could starting out. Still like English influences but I’ve become a little more picky about them.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think the idea regarding beginner tobacco is being charged at least for few people. Given that majority of beginners can't taste shit, and usually run into some tongue bite, Latakia blends are being suggested more.

Latakia is easily recognized and can be picked up by the newbies. And Latakia usually burns much cooler. It gives them some idea as to what pipe smoking is to start with. From there, codger blends which are mild and easy smoking can be used. Once some technique gets developed, move on to other blends.

Or just say fuck it and start with whatever fits the mood.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My opinion is more that it doesn't matter. Try a few things but take your time with them. Smoke through one tin. I feel like you'll learn more if you open a tin/pouch or other package and smoke that one until it's gone. Unless it's just horrible or unenjoyable, like it bites or just tastes terrible (then put it in a jar and try the next one).

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Is there any kind of proper pipe/tobacco shop you can visit? One that has variety of bulk blends in jars you can smell is a great way to start. If it is all remote/online ordering, then go to any of the UK online retailers that will ship to your location, and call their customer service to ask for suggestions for 'starter samples.' Cavendish aromatics are always easy starts.. if you do that, see if they can suggest one that is very mild with the flavoring (and they are generally easy on the nicotine). Mac Baren Scottish Mixture is world famous and high quality and at least in the US, is widely available as bulk in as small as ~25g packets. If you want something sweeter, ask about a mild vanilla tobacco...
Let us know what you end up getting! :col:

Reactions: CallMeSangy

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I'll second smoking some Mac Baren Scottish mixture. I had a few reservations about it at first, but, when you have a pipe nice and consistent from smoking a few bowls of this, it's a keeper of a smoke.

• Love
Reactions: FLDRD

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
When I started smoking a pipe decades ago, I didn't take recommendations from anyone. Went about ten years smoking almost nothing but Mac Baren's Golden Extra. Everything else seemed to suck by comparison. Do I recommend it? Hell no--that's not my point. ;)