PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnypipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2022
iran
Oh by the way would love to hear what kind of pipe smoking goes on in Iran. Where can you smoke? What brands can you buy at stores?
The knowledge of Iranians is very high and they read and follow all magazines and articles. Therefore, there is no problem in the methods. Any brand they want exists in Iran and they buy it. If it is a brand that is not in Iran, they buy it from another country. However, the preference of smokers is to buy pipes from Iranian pipe makers.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thank you for joining and for sharing a bit of your fascinating journey with your craft, your locale (I don't often see Iran listed as a member's locale, perhaps I'm missing many of them?), and your kind responses to welcoming posts.

I'm guessing that Persian history with tobacco use and perhaps pipe smoking is rich and varied over the centuries--perhaps longer. I wonder how long people have been smoking here in the U.S.--it seems possible to me, often longer than the last few centuries. Perhaps ancient Persia has a long smoking history; if not with tobacco, then with some sort of herbs or plants (I haven't read about this yet, but look forward to learning more). I have to suspect than Cyrus the Great had a pipe to two LOL, if not a couple of hundred--I just don't know what he put in them :) (no reference to drugs here, perhaps some kind of herbal blends?).

I also wonder if smoking in public, including cars (drivers only?), is a law there like it is here in some places in the U.S.? The friends I've had from Iran over the decades have been smokers, mostly cigarettes. But I recall learning that the cigar icon (at least for me LOL) from Davidoff in London, Edward Sahakian, is originally from Iran (I don't know where in Iran?)? Perhaps more people actually smoke pipes in Iran in homes, cafes, etc. than now in my area (I'm in East Texas, US)--the only smoking I do in public is in our town's park and when I put my lit pipe in my pocket when entering the grocery store, Lowes, or Walmart (LOL!).

Is one area more "pipe friendly" in Iran than another (i.e., Tehran, Isfahan, etc.)?

• Love
Reactions: johnypipes

johnypipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2022
iran
Thank you for joining and for sharing a bit of your fascinating journey with your craft, your locale (I don't often see Iran listed as a member's locale, perhaps I'm missing many of them?), and your kind responses to welcoming posts.

I'm guessing that Persian history with tobacco use and perhaps pipe smoking is rich and varied over the centuries--perhaps longer. I wonder how long people have been smoking here in the U.S.--it seems possible to me, often longer than the last few centuries. Perhaps ancient Persia has a long smoking history; if not with tobacco, then with some sort of herbs or plants (I haven't read about this yet, but look forward to learning more). I have to suspect than Cyrus the Great had a pipe to two LOL, if not a couple of hundred--I just don't know what he put in them :) (no reference to drugs here, perhaps some kind of herbal blends?).

I also wonder if smoking in public, including cars (drivers only?), is a law there like it is here in some places in the U.S.? The friends I've had from Iran over the decades have been smokers, mostly cigarettes. But I recall learning that the cigar icon (at least for me LOL) from Davidoff in London, Edward Sahakian, is originally from Iran (I don't know where in Iran?)? Perhaps more people actually smoke pipes in Iran in homes, cafes, etc. than now in my area (I'm in East Texas, US)--the only smoking I do in public is in our town's park and when I put my lit pipe in my pocket when entering the grocery store, Lowes, or Walmart (LOL!).

Is one area more "pipe friendly" in Iran than another (i.e., Tehran, Isfahan, etc.)?
Hello my dear friend.
I am happy to see that with all the problems of Iran, you are familiar with the greatness and glory of its history and you know Cyrus the Great.
Yes, we have no problem with smoking on the street or while driving or in a special cafe.
Usually, the number of smokers is more in Tehran, but there are many smokers everywhere in Iran.
In ancient times, Iranians also used a pipe, but they called it "chopogh".
Even here there are woods for making pipes which are very beautiful.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Hello my dear friend.
I am happy to see that with all the problems of Iran, you are familiar with the greatness and glory of its history and you know Cyrus the Great.
Yes, we have no problem with smoking on the street or while driving or in a special cafe.
Usually, the number of smokers is more in Tehran, but there are many smokers everywhere in Iran.
And we must remember that ole Sherlock kept his tobacco in a Persian slipper.

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
Hello my dear friend.
I just googled some of those chopogh pipes, and they are extremely interesting. They seem similar to the Japanese kiseru, or even the medwakh pipes used for dohka. Are they used for regular pipe tobacco, or some kind of a special preparation?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Hello and welcome from the DC/MD area!

I have two very dear friends from Iran! One is an incredible Viola player and comes from a family of musicians, the other is a violin player who's also fantasitc.

checking out your pipes on blueroom as I type this! Beautiful work!

johnypipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2022
iran
I just googled some of those chopogh pipes, and they are extremely interesting. They seem similar to the Japanese kiseru, or even the medwakh pipes used for dohka. Are they used for regular pipe tobacco, or some kind of a special preparation?
Unfortunately, the photo of the pipes I made was deleted by the forum administrator and I cannot post a photo. I think you should search
"johny.pipes"
Follow my page on Instagram to see new pipes.

• Sad
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

johnypipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2022
iran
Hello and welcome from the DC/MD area!

I have two very dear friends from Iran! One is an incredible Viola player and comes from a family of musicians, the other is a violin player who's also fantasitc.

checking out your pipes on blueroom as I type this! Beautiful work!
thanks my friend. I hope you will have good memories of friendship with Iranians

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The knowledge of Iranians is very high and they read and follow all magazines and articles. Therefore, there is no problem in the methods. Any brand they want exists in Iran and they buy it. If it is a brand that is not in Iran, they buy it from another country. However, the preference of smokers is to buy pipes from Iranian pipe makers.
see that's a lot of info. I hate to tell you this but a lot of westerners who write about stuff seem to think that Medwakh is the main pipe game in town. I've read there are x% pipe smokers Iran probably mostly Medwakh smokers. So in short thank you so much. Follow up question. So any pipe tobacco brands the rest of us are missing out on?

johnypipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2022
iran
see that's a lot of info. I hate to tell you this but a lot of westerners who write about stuff seem to think that Medwakh is the main pipe game in town. I've read there are x% pipe smokers Iran probably mostly Medwakh smokers. So in short thank you so much. Follow up question. So any pipe tobacco brands the rest of us are missing out on?
no my friend Iranians do not use medwakh very much. Arab countries use medwakh.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
no my friend Iranians do not use medwakh very much. Arab countries use medwakh.
To alot of westerners you just said something like cats don't eat mice, felines eat mice. I know.... But to a lot of us Arab just means anyone from the Middle East. Or in other words it's a big world out there and people only get little glimpses of it at a time. And it's always pretty cool to get first hand accounts instead of the usual second hand info.

Reactions: StringBEan
Status
Not open for further replies.