PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Joe was a good friend of mine. We had many great phone calls, and I was privileged to interview him about his blends a few years back for another venue. Three months ago, Joe and I were chatting about pipes, and he told me about the time he quit smoking in the early 1970s. He sold all his pipes: patent Dunhills, patent Parkers, old Comoy's and Sasienis, etc. I asked him when did he go back to pipe smoking, and he replied "A couple of months later. I had start all over again." In the following years, Joe amassed an amazing collection of artisan pipes, e.g. Ivarssons, 32 Chonowitschs, etc. I told him about my collection, and casually mentioned I was smoking a Sasieni Canadian. Joe said he used to have one, and that if I ever wanted to get rid of mine, he'd love to have it. That spurred me on to get him one, which I did as a surprise gift. Joe was very happy! I was happy that it was a favorite pipe of his for the last part of his smoking life. This is my Sasieni Canadian. The one I got Joe was the same color with a slightly bigger bowl and was an inch longer. During my last phone call with Joe, we spent the time smoking our Sasienis. That was a lot of fun. RIP, Joe.
Sasieni "Canadian".jpg

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our site was down for a long time today, and that is another story. Sadly ...

From Matt Guss's post on FB this afternoon:

A giant has fallen.

Our dear and cherished friend Joe Lankford passed from this Earth early this morning. The Seattle Pipe Club and all Joe’s friends from around the world mourn his loss.

My friendship with Joe began in 2002 in the early days of the Seattle Pipe Club. Joe was mainly known then in the small circle of high-grade pipe collectors. If one word can sum up someone like Joe Lankford it is generosity. Generosity of spirit and actions. What greater quality can be said of any man?

Joe Lankford’s legendary tobacco blends started humbly enough at our club where he often gifted club members his special blends -- always refusing payment. From there, Joe developed a worldwide family of friends who came to know him through his tobacco creations. Joe’s many gifts to our pipe community live on through his wonderful blends.

Born in Liberal, Kansas Joe was one a man of many parts: gifted tobacco blender, pipe collector, mechanical engineer, FAA air traffic controller, tobacco store owner, ham radio operator, draftsman and worker in the oil fields of Kansas and Oklahoma.

Through all his many health challenges, Joe had an enviable passion for life and optimism that never stopped. I consider myself the most fortunate of men that he saw me as his friend. It’s too difficult to sum up a friend like Joe so I’ll stop. He’s gone and painfully missed.

Joe is survived by his beloved wife Carolyn, his children and grandchildren. Memorial services will be announced later.

JoeL.jpg

joe-kevin.jpg
Me smoking with and chatting with Joe in 2015 at the Annual Seattle Pipe Club Dinner.

Condolences to his family and friends, and the pipe community. You will be missed Joe. :cry: