PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I had several interactions with Joe recently. We had some fun discussions about his blends.

RIP
Oh, yes. I heard about that from you and from Joe. It should be noted that when Joe wanted that Sasieni Canadian that I wrote about earlier, it was you who gave it to me so I could give it to Joe as a surprise gift. Joe was very thrilled to have it, and your thoughtfulness and generosity made that happen even though I know you prefered to be an anonymous benefactor. I was merely the proud conduit for the event. I know it brought you joy to share Joe's appreciation in making his wish a reality. That pipe was special to him, and so were you for your kindness.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Oh, yes. I heard about that from you and from Joe. It should be noted that when Joe wanted that Sasieni Canadian that I wrote about earlier, it was you who gave it to me so I could give it to Joe as a surprise gift. Joe was very thrilled to have it, and your thoughtfulness and generosity made that happen even though I know you prefered to be an anonymous benefactor. I was merely the proud conduit for the event. I know it brought you joy to share Joe's appreciation in making his wish a reality. That pipe was special to him, and so were you for your kindness.
This is seriously one of the most touching and sentimental posts I have read on the forum, on several levels.

Excuse me, but it must be dusty in my home since I was cleaning. Something is in my eye.

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand
Haven't logged in for ages, but wanted to share my small indirect interaction with Joe.

I never spoke to Joe, but when I tried Plum Pudding for the first time, (thanks Ahi Ka) I loved it so much, and I mean so much, I went and emailed Matt Guss at SPC asking them to thank Joe.

The email was:

Hi Matt,

My name is **** I live in New Zealand.

I just wanted to pass on my thanks to Joe Lankford for making plum pudding, It's the best pipe tobacco I've ever tried hands down.

Hats off to that man, amazing job.

Tobacco in NZ is unbelievably expensive compared to other countries, for example 2oz of pp is 122 USD!

However, its so good, I order a tin now and again and really enjoy it, so much so, I wanted to make sure the blender knew how much it was enjoyed by someone on the other side of the world.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

~****. .

And the reply was lovely:

HI ****,

Thank you for your compliments and opinion about Plum Pudding -- its my favorite tobacco on Planet Earth so I'm a bit prejudiced! And thank you very much for spending $122 of your hard earned money on our SPC tobacco.

Joe Lankford is an amazingly talented blender and I believe the best in America. With only a few blends he has carved out a position at the very top of the luxury pipe tobacco market.

I have sent your kind remarks to Joe and I wouldn't be surprised if you hear from him soon.

Thanks again and best regards,

Matt Guss

I never got a reply, but I hope that he had a chance to read it.

Off to smoke a bowl of it now, thank you Joe!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I was lucky in several respects. First because my brother had been friends with him for many years Joe was one of the first people I met in the hobby. I never missed the SPC annual dinner from the time I started smoking a pipe and got to see Joe there as well as at other SPC events and various pipe shows. The picture Kevin posted is from the 2015 dinner where he was the guest of honor and featured speaker (he did a great job by the way).

The second way in which I feel lucky is that once again because my brother introduced me to the hobby the first tobacco I smoked was Plum Pudding. I loved it from the start and it remains a favorite to this day.

Unfortunately Joe wasn't always able to make it to every show. Health, weather, or other conflicts caused him and Carolyn to miss many pipe shows they would have been happy to attend. I do remember about five years ago, for the 2017 Chicago Show, Matt devised a way for Joe to be there in spirit even though he couldn't be there in person. Joe was featured in a contest for show attendees to enter, and two cutouts (Joe and Lil' Joe) were created and came to Chicago in his place. Photos were taken of cutout Joe beside many of his friends from throughout the pipe community and shown to real Joe so he'd know how much he was missed. Here are a few of them:

Joe and Jared Coles

Lankford 2.jpg

Joe, Tom Eltang, and Matt

Lankford 7.jpg

Lil' Joe and Wolfgang Becker

Lankford 3.jpg

Joe and our own Jiminks lending him a light

Lankford 8.jpg

Lil' Joe and Matt

Lankford 1.jpg

Lil' Joe sneaking into room at Pheasant Run

Lil Joe.jpg