Jim's Watch City Simply VOriental Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
3rd day since received, 3rd bowl. Keeps getting better. First third of the bowl seems a bit dominated by the Simply Red and has some rough ages. The Oriental steps forward after that and the bowl last night .... Nirvana at that point forward. Smoked the bowl last night in a meer billiard with around a .80 id, that worked quite well.

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
I appreciate his thoughts on the unobtanium hoarding situation, but unfortunately I don't think that behavior is going to change for the better. It seems to be becoming more prevalent, if anything, and affecting more blends and brands. It is probably a good thing for the pipe tobacco industry though.

I don't suppose you could convince him to either (1) make more, so that it doesn't sell out in 20mins (BEST OPTION) :) . Or (2) to do secondary/alternative releases with a 4oz limit or something? Then all of the guys buying a pound will likely pass on 4oz (or at least be limited to 4oz), but a lot more people could get some to try who might want to.
Hold 10lbs aside and release it the following week at 4oz limit... He'll likely get 40 more orders that spend enough to qualify for free shipping.

Also - how does one get ahold of this release schedule? I'm a late adopter of Ernie's stuff but it seems great so far!

really appreciate the enthusiasm! We’re a 2 man shop who’s small blending operation got popular real fast through word of mouth. While we’re working on ways to increase production we have had many discussions on the wisdom of spending money to a) rent a bigger space b) Hire more employees and c) buy more equipment. After 20 years of watching the retail pipe business, we do not believe the current “mania” is sustainable and have decided to remain small. At this time we can comfortably Blend 150-250 pounds per release depending on the labor involved in each individual blend. This is in addition to the responsibilities of running a brick and mortar and a web business. We sure as heck aren’t complaining, but my customers sure as heck would be if quality control goes down the John and if we blend any more We’ll be in that sort of situation real quick.
we’ve always taken the quality control route. When a certain tobacco becomes unavailable, we choose to retire the blend, as was the case with some very popular mixtures like Bada-Bing, Justice, Deep Elem and several more. Different is not the same, and I have a serious issue with trying to sustain something by making it not the same.
So I do believe things here will settle down within a year. We already have a plan to increase production on blends like Rouxgaroux by bulking smaller batches over time instead of blending everything at one three months prior to release. We’re learning. If not, we’ll have a more serious internal discussion about expansion.
thanks again folks! Warmed by the attention my humble blends are getting!

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
really appreciate the enthusiasm! We’re a 2 man shop who’s small blending operation got popular real fast through word of mouth. While we’re working on ways to increase production we have had many discussions on the wisdom of spending money to a) rent a bigger space b) Hire more employees and c) buy more equipment. After 20 years of watching the retail pipe business, we do not believe the current “mania” is sustainable and have decided to remain small. At this time we can comfortably Blend 150-250 pounds per release depending on the labor involved in each individual blend. This is in addition to the responsibilities of running a brick and mortar and a web business. We sure as heck aren’t complaining, but my customers sure as heck would be if quality control goes down the John and if we blend any more We’ll be in that sort of situation real quick.
we’ve always taken the quality control route. When a certain tobacco becomes unavailable, we choose to retire the blend, as was the case with some very popular mixtures like Bada-Bing, Justice, Deep Elem and several more. Different is not the same, and I have a serious issue with trying to sustain something by making it not the same.
So I do believe things here will settle down within a year. We already have a plan to increase production on blends like Rouxgaroux by bulking smaller batches over time instead of blending everything at one three months prior to release. We’re learning. If not, we’ll have a more serious internal discussion about expansion.
Thanks for jumping on the forum and taking the time to give us a better insight as to what is going on behind the scenes. Keep up the great work!!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I appreciate his thoughts on the unobtanium hoarding situation, but unfortunately I don't think that behavior is going to change for the better. It seems to be becoming more prevalent, if anything, and affecting more blends and brands. It is probably a good thing for the pipe tobacco industry though.

I don't suppose you could convince him to either (1) make more, so that it doesn't sell out in 20mins (BEST OPTION) :) . Or (2) to do secondary/alternative releases with a 4oz limit or something? Then all of the guys buying a pound will likely pass on 4oz (or at least be limited to 4oz), but a lot more people could get some to try who might want to.
Hold 10lbs aside and release it the following week at 4oz limit... He'll likely get 40 more orders that spend enough to qualify for free shipping.

Also - how does one get ahold of this release schedule? I'm a late adopter of Ernie's stuff but it seems great so far!
(3) Price Increase - Watch City blends are a very competitively priced and well-worth the money, but perhaps a price increase would deter some of the hoarders? Probably not, but I don't mind paying a bit more to support an independent operation that produces high quality/premium products.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana

Thank you for joining the conversation and for the blends!

Im 2 bowls into the pound I bought and it is definitely getting better. Love the stuff.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Great avatar!
Maybe some part time help, if nothing else, just to pack boxes or something like that?
Or to chop up the perique.

Oct 7, 2016
People will be snapping up blends, especially limited-release blends, like this until awhile after the dust settles with the FDA regulations.

At least that's what I think.

There's too much uncertainty.
Maybe it will dawn on smokers that the FDA dust HAS settled much more than they thank.

Look at the number of blends Scandinavian (Pipes and Cigars) has taken off the market.

Read the FDA releases. The focus is on ingredients. If whoever owns the rights to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic wants to make it in plug form, call it something else and subject the sale to strict limits and a “you can’t sell this before x hour on y day” agreement, they are perfectly free to do so.

Would SWA Plug taste differently than regular SWA? To me and you, maybe. But it would be “substantially equivalent” to a regulator.

Anybody with a noodle press can do what manufacturers are doing to continue the parade of limited editions. Well, maybe you need a used apple barrel.

Lemmings.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
People will be snapping up blends, especially limited-release blends, like this until awhile after the dust settles with the FDA regulations.

At least that's what I think.

There's too much uncertainty.
I tend to think that this is just the direction the market is going, especially with boutique, small volume blenders. I'd liken it to the craft beer market, where there are literally hundreds of limited-release beers that people will line up to purchase, and often sell out in one day.

So yes, the hipsters are out to ruin pipe smoking as well. :LOL:

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Maybe it will dawn on smokers that the FDA dust HAS settled much more than they thank.

Look at the number of blends Scandinavian (Pipes and Cigars) has taken off the market.

Read the FDA releases. The focus is on ingredients. If whoever owns the rights to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic wants to make it in plug form, call it something else and subject the sale to strict limits and a “you can’t sell this before x hour on y day” agreement, they are perfectly free to do so.

Would SWA Plug taste differently than regular SWA? To me and you, maybe. But it would be “substantially equivalent” to a regulator.

Anybody with a noodle press can do what manufacturers are doing to continue the parade of limited editions. Well, maybe you need a used apple barrel.

Lemmings.

Well I'll be a lemming with plenty of tobacco I like.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Great job, Jim! Sounds wonderful and I don't think I've ever had that particular varietal of Oriental leaf. At least not outside of some being in the grand bag, combo of Turkish/Oriental used in so many blends. Really, I haven't had too many VaOrs, though I do like Embarcadero to quite a bit.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've mentioned before, but I really can't blame tobacco business owners for not wanting to invest serious capital in expanding in the current environment. That said, it bums me out because I like Watch City's blends an awful lot and I still haven't tried Rouxgaroux or R&B, let alone this new one. Some day the timing will work out with their availability and my bank account ? First world problems for sure. Well, for me, anyway.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Great job, Jim! Sounds wonderful and I don't think I've ever had that particular varietal of Oriental leaf. At least not outside of some being in the grand bag, combo of Turkish/Oriental used in so many blends. Really, I haven't had too many VaOrs, though I do like Embarcadero to quite a bit.

Embarcadero is magic

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I was going through some jars trying to decide what I wanted next when I happened upon a jar of VOriental. So I think this has had about two months in the jar, and as I commented before, I thought this blend needed some alone time. I can only speak for my own tastes when I say, boy was I right. I used a Molina Dublin with a tall and narrow bowl. Packed easy and took to a light with no problems. Smoked all the down with no relights and no dampness in the bowl. In fact, I did not need to use a pipe cleaner. I will say that the SR is very forward on this blend, but the oriental is a close second and there is no mistaking that it is there. I like this better than straight SR. The Oriental just gives it a layer of richness and spice that makes for an interesting smoke without being overbearing on the senses. I find it beautiful in its simplicity and I absolutely love it. Ernie, if you see this, thank you for another great blend and I hope to see it offered again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.