Jim's Watch City Simply VOriental Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Is there any other blend that uses Macedonian Prilep? Does it have a unique flavor profile?
I smoked a few bowls straight to understand it: mildly sweet and very sour, very floral, herbal and entrancing.

I think a couple of Ken Byron blends use it.

Reactions: NomadOrb

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Smoked my first bowl today and I enjoyed it. All I will add is that in my bumble opinion, the blend needs a few months in the jar to settle in.

As a big Va/Or fan and no stranger to Ernie's (WCC) blends, you are absolutely correct.

I was going to do a long review but it basically boils down to - "It's good, but it will be amazing with some desperately needed time in a jar."

Reactions: FurCoat
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That's why it's called "Simply". A couple of earlier versions were stronger with less complexity, and while they were good, we felt they were too strong and sour.

Jim, it is a nice piece of blending for sure. Not your usual VaOr in the least. The Simply Red can be pretty "tangy" and Oriental Leaf can be quite tart. It was kind of like expecting to get punched in the face and receiving a love pat instead. I wasn't disappointed at all, just surprised. Pleasant surprises are a good thing. As I said, I'll be buying more when it comes around again.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, it is a nice piece of blending for sure. Not your usual VaOr in the least. The Simply Red can be pretty "tangy" and Oriental Leaf can be quite tart. It was kind of like expecting to get punched in the face and receiving a love pat instead. I wasn't disappointed at all, just surprised. Pleasant surprises are a good thing. As I said, I'll be buying more when it comes around again.
The rejects do hit you in the face, and I wondered if that was what the average Oriental fan wants? It seems like you do, right?

Reactions: NomadOrb

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
That's why it's called "Simply". A couple of earlier versions were stronger with less complexity, and while they were good, we felt they were too strong and sour.
I found some Macedonian Prilep for sale online. I'll be grabbing some to add to this - after the second bowl of Simply Voriental, I'm a bit disappointed, especially considering the premium I paid over Simply Red. The Oriental is simply too light. Hopefully it marries in the jar and comes to the fore down the road, but if not, I'll start mixing in my own to get it where it needs to be.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
As a big Va/Or fan and no stranger to Ernie's (WCC) blends, you are absolutely correct.

I was going to do a long review but it basically boils down to - "It's good, but it will be amazing with some desperately needed time in a jar."
in six months this blend will make grown men cry. I'm a big fan of Oriental forward blends.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’m only two bowls in but both had a very similar trajectory- 95% Simply Red at the light and steadily shifting to 95% oriental by the end of the bowl. Balance is tough to pull off, especially with two components that have such a strong character. SVO nails that balance and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Smoked two bowls of SVO today and I am impressed. The balance and interplay between the Virginia’s and Oriental’s is masterfully done. The blend is sweet and tangy, and at the same time sour with a delightful spice on the retrohale. There is a bunch more going on in this blend and I look forward to exploring it. My hats off to Ernie and @jiminks for this one. Brilliant job, guys.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I found some Macedonian Prilep for sale online. I'll be grabbing some to add to this - after the second bowl of Simply Voriental, I'm a bit disappointed, especially considering the premium I paid over Simply Red. The Oriental is simply too light. Hopefully it marries in the jar and comes to the fore down the road, but if not, I'll start mixing in my own to get it where it needs to be.
We discussed making a stronger version as well. This production was not meant to be that. But, I'll talk to Ernie about yours and the other comments. A stronger version may be possible, though I can't guarantee anything because I don't work for Ernie, and obviously, he will decide what he wants to do. But, he likes feedback, and I'll certainly tell him there may be a market for a stronger VOriental to compliment this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.