Jim's Seattle Pipe Club Hogshead Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The blend is scheduled to be released on May 24. It will be in a two ounce tin.

The ten year old African and Brazilian orange and red Virginias are the lead components. There’s a little lightly cased American bright Virginia in the mix as well. All of them combine to create a lot of tart and tangy, tingly citrus, bread, earth, wood, grass, vegetation, a moderate amount of tangy dark fruit, sugar, floralness, fermentation, stewed citrus, mild sour lemon, light spice and vinegar notes, and a small hint of smoke. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste level is a notch more potent. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough edges which is typical of a straight Virginia blend with no topping. The plug is fairly dense, but it doesn’t take much to break it apart or slice off what you want. It’s mildly moist, and requires no dry time. Burns cool, clean, and a tad slow. With a punchy depth of body that includes a few floral, spice and smoke notes to accent the fermented fruity sweet Virginia flavor, Hogshead offers an old-world Empire leaf style experience that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is pleasant, too. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars out of four.

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Thi
The blend is scheduled to be released on May 24. It will be in a two ounce tin.

The ten year old African and Brazilian orange and red Virginias are the lead components. There’s a little lightly cased American bright Virginia in the mix as well. All of them combine to create a lot of tart and tangy, tingly citrus, bread, earth, wood, grass, vegetation, a moderate amount of tangy dark fruit, sugar, floralness, fermentation, stewed citrus, mild sour lemon, light spice and vinegar notes, and a small hint of smoke. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste level is a notch more potent. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough edges which is typical of a straight Virginia blend with no topping. The plug is fairly dense, but it doesn’t take much to break it apart or slice off what you want. It’s mildly moist, and requires no dry time. Burns cool, clean, and a tad slow. With a punchy depth of body that includes a few floral, spice and smoke notes to accent the fermented fruity sweet Virginia flavor, Hogshead offers an old-world Empire leaf style experience that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is pleasant, too. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars out of four
This sounds great! Can’t wait to find some and give it a try!

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
When will there be a tobacco reviewed that I want to pass up?!

I'm just glad the weather is warming up so I can get smoking! Glad this isn't a small batch release and will be part of the lineup.

Great Review Jim! I'm going to start rearranging my cellar and see if I can make a little more room.

Reactions: n_irwin and JimInks