Jim's Seattle Pipe Club Hogshead Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Man. I will be smoking another bowl tonight from a newer pipe. I don’t see where you fellas are getting these flavors. I genuinely truly wonder if I got a bum tin.
Do you have much experience with straight Virginias? I know you like Vapers, and blends with a fair amount of strength to them, and this is not a power house smoke. Maybe straight Va.s are not for you?

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Do you have much experience with straight Virginias? I know you like Vapers, and blends with a fair amount of strength to them, and this is not a power house smoke. Maybe straight Va.s are not for you?
It could be my friend. I actually had my third bowl tonight. Slowed way down, used a small bowl. Still not better for me. Oh well.

Reactions: dunnyboy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Got my order in today.
The tin note promised something different and complex and the blend doesn’t disappoint.
The sweetness, smoke, tang and citrus combine to provide a richly unique Virginia experience, quite surprising and enjoyable for this Virginia smoker.
The blend smokes very well for me as the flavors continue to grow sip after sip.
I’m on my second bowl of it, happy as a pig in mud. Takes to the flame easily and burns at a nice slow pace.
I’m smoking it in a 1930’s era Barling billiard, a smaller EL size, and the first bowl was an effortless 1 1/2 hour smoke. No moisture, no relights, just a pleasure to smoke.
Great flavors!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My order arrived. So like a kid in a candy store I got after it.

This may make me sound crazy but it has a Klondike Gold vibe to it.

I smoked ten bowls primarily out of Meers but also out of a few over 100 year old briars.

I also smoked some Klondike gold from 2014 (aged 2 yrs before being sold and rumored to be Dunhill flake, long story I guess) but this blend is an absolute keeper.

I think Jiminks nailed the review. Definitely recommended.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Whether you're an amateur or an experienced smoker, your taste buds are your taste buds. While you will develop your likes and dislikes as you go along your pipe smoking journey like most of the rest of us have, your opinion every step of the way is important to you only. Your opinion is never useless. Don't worry about it, and just enjoy what you're doing. When you run into something you don't like, you'll never need anybody's advice about what to do about that. Same thing applies to discovering something you do like. When you want advice, there's a bunch of people here who'd gladly help.

I can tell the bright Va. was lightly cased by something sweet, probably sugar, because the acidity level of it seemed very low to me.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
This! Over decades of smoking Cuban cigars and attending 3 or 4 herfs a year i have found not only everyone is different but a bonus of always sharing your honest opinions is that you find others with the same pallets and you start to follow their reviews a bit more or sharing cigars with them they you tend to enjoy and vice versa. With cigars their tend to be a lot of puff puff passes (more now again even though obviously herfs and PPPs died down for the last two years) and it is a great chance to share and discuss cigars, i have two very good cigar brothers that i will sit with and discuss cigars knowing our tastes align, this is just one of the benefits of being open and honest and not worrying if you “get it wrong” because there isn’t really any wrong answers.
On an amusing note one of these friends is one of the largest whales in the Cuban cigar world and he always hunts me down at herfs, much to the chagrin of others because he knows that we will pick out the same notes and changes in cigars so it really makes the conversations great, of course my best cigars are maybe an aged Cohiba (20 yrs) while his best are Cubatobaco 25ths or super rare Punch lol. I def get the better end of deal but it’s about the friends and the experiences you share, again sorry for the ramble but that’s what i do best ?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I tried a sample at the Chicago show and agree with Jim & Jesse; a bit unusual but very much to my taste. Smoking Pipes had it in stock again this morning so I bought a few tins. As others have said it is a regular production blend so if SP runs out again I’m sure it’ll be restocked as supply chains allow.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I just finished a second bowl of this..yesterday i smoked it from my great tasting briar pipe..taste was great but nicotine hit me bad..I had to go to bed just after smoking it..my head was spinning..last time this happened was smoking SGAWITH No4 rope.before that Dunhill nightcap hit me years back..so I do not think it is a morning smoke for me...Today I put it in my meerachaum pipe. Taste was even better ,sweeter in the mid third of bowl...Nic hit was the same so I stopped in the middle and finished later...great tasting tobacco..I may compare it with 2013 Dunhill flake (which is my favoriteVA)soon ...

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I just finished a second bowl of this..yesterday i smoked it from my great tasting briar pipe..taste was great but nicotine hit me bad..I had to go to bed just after smoking it..my head was spinning..last time this happened was smoking SGAWITH No4 rope.before that Dunhill nightcap hit me years back..so I do not think it is a morning smoke for me...Today I put it in my meerachaum pipe. Taste was even better ,sweeter in the mid third of bowl...Nic hit was the same so I stopped in the middle and finished later...great tasting tobacco..I may compare it with 2013 Dunhill flake (which is my favoriteVA)soon ...
A nice piece of chocolate will fix that nicotine buzz right up or even a packet of sugar, best thing about herfing with a lot of guys, when it’s an all day or night herf there’s always tons of pastries or cookies, anything with a lot of sugar lol

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
If Hogshead got you buzzed don't ever smoke G&H Dark Birdseye. Hahaha!

Jul 18, 2019
Many thanks JimInks. Been away from my pipe for a bit, so I used your review as a word-bank for helping me identify the tasting notes. Much appreciated.

Tin just came in today, marked 060222. Agree about some of the rough edges, but wow lots of depth. Loving the dark fruity, fermented, earthy notes more than anything, which is fun for VA blend.

Bump on NC TC ID pipeman about the solid nic-hit. Not dizzy, but definitely dampened...

Reactions: JimInks