Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Congratulations Jim! Very elegantly put and you can feel the respect you have for her coupled with the obvious knowledge and experience you have on the subject. Well done!

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
For those who want to read my interview with her, here's a link to get a copy: Alter Ego 85 : TwoMorrows Publishing, The Future of Comics and LEGO™ Publications. - https://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=123_139_141&products_id=785

I was very happy to have done the first extensive interview with Mrs. Philips. When I was interviewing, I tried hard to find women who had worked in comics in the 1930s and 40s. There weren't many, and it was hard to find the few who lived during the time I was interviewing.

I interviewed over 250 early comic book pioneers, and none had a life story as compelling as hers, although I heard some amazing World War Two stories by those who served. I can't imagine the fear she felt escaping the Nazis as a young woman, and the luck she had in getting away. When she talked to me about it, I could hear the fear in her voice when she talked about the Nazis, and the great sense of relief in her voice as she related her narrow escape. Once she survived all of that, every day forward was a day to celebrate freedom, and she did that to her last day of life.