PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sigh, they are spamming to to subscribe to New York Times. I have my standards! It's Post or nothing else!

Sorry to hear about the lady. 101 years is a good number. RIP.
Who is spamming? I didn't get a notice like that when I went there to read the article. And posting the actual article here would be plagiarism.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Who is spamming? I didn't get a notice like that when I went there to read the article. And posting the actual article here would be plagiarism.
I visited New York Times before, so they probably counted my visit and now whenever I visit they spam me instead of going to article. They as in New York Times.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I visited New York Times before, so they probably counted my visit and now whenever I visit they spam me instead of going to article. They as in New York Times.
I see. That didn't happen to me. I'm not a regular visitor, though.

Reactions: bullet08

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I can't view it either...and I never visit the NYT...don't have time to waste on such a publication...but I would have made an exception in this case.

Reactions: Kobold and UB 40
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sigh, they are spamming to to subscribe to New York Times. I have my standards! It's Post or nothing else!

Sorry to hear about the lady. 101 years is a good number. RIP.

FWIW, the paywall is drawn over the regular website. If you hit the refresh button, then immediately click it again while it's displaying the "X", you can generally get it to load enough of the page to read the article before it's able to put up the paywall. 👍

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Jim,
Sorry, but I’ve hit my limit on free articles from NYT.
They’ll never get a dime from me.

That said, I think it’s a fine thing that you work hard at being a reputable source of information in a number of areas.
It’s a good thing to be remembered.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great article Jim! Your comments were respectful and eloquent.
Thank you. Ms. Renee (I never called her by her first name out of respect) was a first class human being. When she granted me her first comprehensive interview, I was struck by her dignity, class, and honesty as well as her willingness to share so many details about her life. I was very pleased to know her.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I was curious about what you have to say in respect to the work of the lady, but I’m sorry couldn’t read the NYT. For me the story unfortunately is hidden behind a pay wall. On the other side, it’s a good sign that not all of the journalistic contents in the internet are not for free any more. Someone has to pay for the good work of the people in times of sinking presence in print media.
I’m sure you have found the right words of estimation.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
When I was in college I was required to subscribe to the New York Times and the last few years I’ve been able to again online, for $10 a month.

To be quoted in the New York Times is a great honor.

To have a full obituary in the New York Times is as close to immortal fame as an American gets from our earthly record, on this earth.

Congratulations, Jim.

Writing an obituary is an art.

My grandmother “Ma” Agee wrote (or helped) write all of them in The Index from the twenties until the eighties, and most are written for the families of the bereaved and only a few for the historical record.

The absolute pinnacle of obituary writers writes for the New York Times.

Will any of us, rate a New York Times obituary?