PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
You and I want the personal freedom to smoke. Others want the personal freedom to not be exposed to our smoking.
In my area, it is possible to have a restaurant where smoking is allowed and comply with all state and local regulations. Ignore franchises, which have their policies set nationally. That leaves maybe a few dozen convenient places I would consider eating out. Three allow smoking, one of those only on their outdoor patio and in the bar area. They all could. Consumers have spoken.

Oct 7, 2016
Exactly so.
I know a lot of people feel unfairly put upon by current legislation but all you have to do is research the history of the US tobacco industry in the last 75 years and realize the degree of lies, dirty tricks, and general monkey business that big tobacco pulled in their efforts to get consumers addicted to their products. Yes, I love pipes and cigars but from a historical perspective, it's hard to feel sorry for the tobacco industry. They brought this upon themselves a hundred times over.
Post of the day. One interesting aspect of the cigarette additive controversy is that Ira Lapides of the Gatlinburlier had researched what was going into cigarettes and was pointing out that someday the big tobacco companies were going to get hammered for it. And that pipe tobacco, while relatively free of additives, would be an unavoidable casualty. Ira had a few papers on the subject, but nobody would publish them. I got copies by writing him, most likely because they were referenced in the Ephemeris. This was at least a decade before the controversy, which featured bald faced perjury, broke. Anybody who had read Ira’s papers knew the minute those executives opened their mouths that they were lying.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
+1 from a fellow Minnesotan. And we have quite a lack of B&Ms.

I'm a relatively new smoker with the same plan, especially living in tax-happy MN. Additionally, regardless of taxes and regulation, who knows what one's financial future could bring? I'm in a position to afford extra tobacco now, so I buy it.
Oh it could be worse my friends. Current tax rate in Anchorage is 120% and there are exactly 2 B&M's, one of which carries only stokkebye and GLP bulks and like 10 over priced pipes, staff knows zilch about tobacco. The other has 8 or 10 various bulks and 8 or 10 various tins. Their Esoterica blends are a steal at $45 per oz. :ROFLMAO: Regular everyday 50g tins are $25-$30, and their pipe prices are usually about 175% of online prices.

Thankfully for us, the state currently looks the other way when it comes to online sales (for now), so 99% of my shopping occurs online. Otherwise it would be quite bleak here, for both price and selection.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.