PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastislav

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Just commiserating with the pipe community on the perpetual attacks and taxation we have to endure. Here in PA, for the privilege of patronizing a fine in state establishment for some of their tobacco blends, some quick math revealed that since I am in PA, taxes and “fees” (I despise euphemisms) amount to an additional 33% of my cost. No doubt the government’s inexorable thirst for revenue, the nanny state mentality and other forces are continually at work. I’ve seen a fellow member or two proffer sage advice on our plight. I think I will make it my signature: Cellar wide, cellar deep, cellar now.
As a newbie, I can already see the merits of this, and am endeavoring to build a sufficient supply before even more onerous and restrictive legislation come down from on high. Sadly, I don’t personally hold much confidence in the will of the electorate to change things, or the courage of the elected officials to advocate for personal freedom. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
The Canadians and Europeans would tell us that we still pay next to nothing for tobaccos here. The cigar smokers would laugh at how cheap our hobby is compared to theirs. And, the Southerners would wonder why someone would want to live so far North.

I'm sorry for your frustrations. I am not sure what to say. I can't think of a single negative when it comes to cellaring. I don't need a single reason beyond, "it's still cheap as hell, and you can't beat aged tobacco. "

Rastislav

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
The Canadians and Europeans would tell us that we still pay next to nothing for tobaccos here. The cigar smokers would laugh at how cheap our hobby is compared to theirs. And, the Southerners would wonder why someone would want to live so far North.

I'm sorry for your frustrations. I am not sure what to say. I can't think of a single negative when it comes to cellaring. I don't need a single reason beyond, "it's still cheap as hell, and you can't beat aged tobacco. "
I have no doubts that the US is still in a better place than Europe, Canada with regards to taxation and government regulations. The trend is disturbing all the same. Just venting, and this seemed to be the forum to do so.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Here in the southern Canadian province of Minnesota, we have a 90% excise tax. We're so progressive...;)
+1 from a fellow Minnesotan. And we have quite a lack of B&Ms.

Cellar wide, cellar deep, cellar now

I'm a relatively new smoker with the same plan, especially living in tax-happy MN. Additionally, regardless of taxes and regulation, who knows what one's financial future could bring? I'm in a position to afford extra tobacco now, so I buy it.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If I get dinged by Canada Customs on the delivery, tobacco is a few times the list price. Luckily, they are not interested in every small fry that swims past.

On the other hand, I weep for our Australian commonwealth brethren. If you order tobacco there, they come confiscate your wallabies or jamjams or something.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sadly, I don’t personally hold much confidence in the will of the electorate to change things
Anti-smoking is the will of the majority of the electorate. This IS the change. Many of us saw this coming years and years ago and cellared. It isn't exactly rocket science.
Personal freedom is an interesting concept. You and I want the personal freedom to smoke. Others want the personal freedom to not be exposed to our smoking.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
The best thing that you can do is write, often, to your state and federal representatives. Let them know your position and that you will only vote for reps who share your views. Apathy is an enemy.

Reactions: Rastislav

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
“The Canadians and Europeans would tell us that we still pay next to nothing for tobaccos here.”

I don’t normally look to costs and issues in those areas to be MY benchmark.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Jesse, as is the norm, has nailed it. The electorate has spoken and smokers are, in the main, paying for the demise of their "hobby", wee vice, past-time, addiction or however you choose to describe your smoking. Ah, the irony of it all.

Remember, every tax dollar taken from a smoker is a tax dollar a non-smoker gets to keep. So, we have that going for us. For a little while, at least until our contribution becomes so insignificant as to no longer matter. Then "they" (whomever you define as them/they) will have to exact new or higher taxes on another segment of society to make up the difference.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My error should read "...is a dollar a non-smoker gets to keep." No one gets to keep tax dollars accept those the government passes your moneys on to, GI's, contractors, those on the dole, government employees, grantees, and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.