PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
This is a phrase I am sick to the gills of hearing.
It doesn't matter what pipe I carry with me on an outing, it could be a MM country gent, a straight billiard, my Sav 626, my Machelli Poker, my Bjarne Viking plateau top freehand ... whatever.
Inevitably, someone will declare "that looks just like Sherlock Holmes' pipe!"
Now, I understand that most people are not accustomed to seeing pipes or pipe smokers. I understand that most people would be hard pressed to name a single non-fictional human being who actually lived that smoked a pipe. I get it, I really do.
I try not to be mean to these people, but I'm naturally abrasive and don't care much for small talk so I'm sure some of them think I'm being hateful.
But I just don't get it. Why is it that every pipe in the world "looks like Sherlock Holmes' pipe"?
I mean if they are just looking for a conversation starter, couldn't they just say "hey I've never seen anyone smoking a pipe before" or "that smells good" or "hey it's just like Lord of the Rings" or "Hey, no smoking in here! Get out you bum!"?
Anyone else have this happen to them?
Maybe all pipes look alike, I guess ...

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
People are incurably dumb. That's really what it comes down to. Not usually their fault, and we all have our idiotic specialties.
I wear a big ass Stetson. Technically it is an Akubra style hat, but you can call it a cowboy hat. It looks like a cowboy hat. You know how many people tell me I am wearing a Fedora? Don't understand that. Happens all the time.
Abrasive is the way to be. Fends off stuff like this.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I hear "hey, Mr Hobbit" quite often too, and not necessarily when I carry a CW.

"Do you think you're Gandalf?"
People are so lacking of interest.

But naming ordinary people that took part in some Reality TV, that they can do !!
I finally get why the "Diogenes Club" exists. People suck!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
At least what you hear is a positive thing. Here are some dialogues from my experience:
Friend: Oh, you are smoking a pipe, you think you look smart?

Me: No, I don't, it is just a device and I am burning tobacco in it.
Another fried: Look at that elite boy of ours smoking his pipe and pretending not be one of us - cigarette smokers.

Me: I do smoke cigarettes, but enjoy pipes more whenever I have time to smoke them.
Another friend: Hey Sherlock, come here.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Most comments I get are, "You know that stuff will kill you". My reply is, "I know, I'm trying to commit suicide". That usually ends any further conversation.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
tdc-600x424.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I'm a nice guy generally. Especially to other friendly people and my circle of friends. However, I've been told I look and seem unapproachable. I don't tend to get dumb comments.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Them:
"that looks just like Sherlock Holmes' pipe!"
You:
I'm naturally abrasive and don't care much for small talk so I'm sure some of them think I'm being hateful.
It WAS Sherlock Holmes' pipe! I bought it from his great-grandson. It just keeps going up and up in value. But I'm kinda strapped for cash right now so I'm actually thinking about selling it...

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Inevitably, someone will declare "that looks just like Sherlock Holmes' pipe!"
The very sad thing, tinsel, is that they aren't even right about that! Even among pipe smokers, true calabashes are pretty rare. Welcome to the coarsening of society where people are no longer taught HOW to think, but rather what. Even on college campuses, people are attacked, not encouraged, for thinking independently, and as a pipe smoker, we all fall out of that societal norm of /conformity./

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Sherlock Holmes smoked different pipes throughout many portrayals he received.

Calabash I believe was not even mentioned in the book originally.

He received that stereotype on screen.

The newest movie with Dowrey JR. in it has him smoking some tiny briar, a Dublin possibly.
Outsiders are not that prone to notice details, you have a wooden stick in your mouth and it sends out billows of smoke, that's Sherlock Holmes alright.
Bottom line is that, one should not be so tightassed, when people are simply trying to socialize.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Eh, easier to be a grump. Come hell, hogs, or high water, I'll grump my way through like the angry little engine that could. That way, when I'm nice, people don't take it for granted.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke fairly large pipes, wear western wear, and it's common knowledge in my area that I'm always carrying a firearm. Not many sideways remarks. :wink:

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
At work -

The smart-ass: "Where do you think you are, the Shire?"

Me: "well I did until you ugly orcs arrived."
Outside a bar -

The rude fool: "You probably think that's classy but you look like an idiot."

Me: "I have a dick."

The fool: "Man what?"

Me: "oh, I assumed you were trying to be a dick, and so I wanted to assure you I already had one."

The fool: "whatever, just saying you look stupid with that thing."

Me: "I'm married and you're not my type thanks."

The fool: "What the F is wrong with you?"

Me: "well since you're implying now that you aren't just trying to be a dick, I'm assuming you want to f**k around with me, now do you want this to escalate or are you out of words yet?"

May 4, 2015
Most comments I get are that I'm an old man stuck in a younger man's body. I can't disagree, so on I puff. Reno is an odd place, and people mind their own business for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.