Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The guy selling the Rad bulldog states clearly, no returns accepted, I personally would never do business with someone like that.
My 19 are not going anywhere, I won't be selling them at any price. I believe prices will go up a bit in the short run and then stabalize to where they normally have been.
peck, I always knew you were a closet Rad lover, how many do you have?

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
cigmaster,
I was hanging with a local pipemaker who told me Rad retired - the first thing I thought was "Oh man, Cigrmaster from the pipe forum is gonna be bummed out!"
And then I remembered this forum exists still, and hopped on tonight :D (I've lived in a smoke free building the last two years as well as being busy as hell with College/Grad school, haven't had much time to hang out here. Luckily there is summer break!)
I'm also a little bummed as I never have had the pleasure to try a Davis. Perhaps my time will come someday... 8)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
austinxpipe, every now and then, I will see an estate Rad on ebay so you might want to keep an eye out for one. The prices are a bit high but not ridiculous as of yet.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Good for him!

Hope he enjoys his retirement!

One contract negotiation away from retirement myself.

Hope I join him (in retirement).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I always liked Mr. Davis' work but not enough to part with the shekels. But sooner or later I will cave for the overall quality of his pipes, especially his finishes that are at the same time colorful and beautiful but find strike a balance with an elegant restraint.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I know this is an old post and I'm bringing it back from the dead. After years of wanting to commission a pipe from Rad I'm finally able to get around to do it and find he's retired. I hadn't seen this post until after I got an email back from Rad saying he's retired from pipe making.
Harris not sure if you'll see this but any chance you want to sell me one of your Rad Davis pipes? lol

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Fitzy, there are unsmoked and estate Rad's showing up on eBay with regularity at prices which are consistent to marginally higher than new pipes from Rad were prior to his retirement.
Keep a weather eye out, you'll find what you're looking for.
-- Pat

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks pruss and click.
He's been retired all along sable I just was out of the loop for a while and found out recently. lol
Sorry for the zombie topic.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Oh while were at it. Does anyone have an american craftsman that does comparable work at the same price level?
I see plenty of american pipe makers but they seem to all be far more expensive.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Although not american, I'd talk to Chris Askwith.
Otherwise there are a TON of up and coming American Carvers doing great blast work. In the 300-500$ range for the most part.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Click. I'll look into it.
Maybe I should start a new post for Rad Davis alternatives. :)

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Its a sad day when we loose a great pipe carver whether to retirement or to other reason. I just hope we get enough new carvers to compensate so pipes do not dwindle to impossible to get. A lot of the British makers are semi retired or full retired and will be hard to get any of their pies. I dont have a Rad Davis pipe as of yet and fear I might not get one with his retirement.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
You could always try Zach or Ryan from these forums. Abe Herbaugh and Nathan Armentrout are also young, talented American carvers. To me, for sandblast, you still can't beat Bruce Weaver.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Russ cook just got a new blaster he just posted a Facebook pic tonight and it is a great craggy blast.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
I had thought Peck was BSing us about prices of retired pipe makers dropping, however I just picked up this estate Rad Davis on Ebay for what I feel is a pretty good deal, sub $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381443978747
Certainly possible that this particular pipe is not as desirable to pipe smokers, or just that I got very lucky and others missed it. Rad has been on my list of American pipe makers since I started in this hobby, so I am pretty excited to finally own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.