Not open for further replies.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
2dmiikm.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm very happy for the man and wish him a happy retirement. That said it also saddens me as I've never had the pleasure of owning one of his creations. A Rad Davis pipe is IMO one of the finest American artisan pipes out there. I have a small number of others with similar stature on my wish list and this sudden news may push me to get ahold of one or more of these carvers before they decide to shut it down.
Again I wish all the best to Rad and perhaps someday I can capture an estate piece made by him but I find it unlikely.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Wow, Peck! :worship:

Sorry he will not be doing anymore of these but he obviously deserves to spend sometime just relaxing and making some smoke!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those have to be some of the major zulus ever made, as all the pipes shine in their respective shapes. Hope his retirement is wonderful for him.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Harris, you couldn't have said it better and I feel the same word for word. He'll always be #1 for all those things said in the OP.
Rad, I wish you a happy retirement. It is well deserved to say the least.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Who is Rad Davis?? Seriously, that does indeed suck, but good luck to him and happy retirement.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Wow, this is really disappointing. I wish I had spent the money now to have one. Him and Michael Parks were my top two wants on a commission. The Parks is out of my reach or some time, but I should have stretched to get the Rad. It's probably best for Rad, and I hope him a happy retirement.

B

May 31, 2012
I'm so sad I never got myself one...
...I always wanted one of his Radesians!
Will find one someday I hope.
Rad Davis will be sorely missed!
UeVgcbt.png

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Like the rest of you, I'm happy for him but sad for the rest of us. I consider myself fortunate to have one of his pipes and think he's a great fellow and carver.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Damn! I wanted one of his pipes more than anything, but was always a day late or a dollar short. A great American Master.

Dec 24, 2012
An interesting question will be what happens with the prices on Rad Davis estates. Sometimes when well-known pipesmokers retire or are otherwise no longer producing, they cease to be a hot commodity and their estate prices go down as demand slips. However, if the carver has a sufficiently iconic stature then we can see a boost in estate prices. It will be interesting to see what happens with Rad's pipes.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My guess, they'll escalate and quickly. There are a lot of people out there who would like to have an example of his work in their collections. The fact they can no longer get a new piece is likely to drive up the estate market. I'll bet a Rad pipe proves to be a very good investment indeed. Harris is setting pretty!!!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Looks like recent sold auction on ebay are in the $200-$300 range.
I like his dublin/zulu pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.