PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Not universally.
Your world is going dark but in the earth's southern areas the days are getting longer. In the Southern Hemisphere autumn occurs in the month of March, winter is in June, then spring is in September and then finally, summer is in December.
I was going to make the same comment. Day's getting longer and warmer in my neck of the woods now that we're in Spring.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sometimes get a little down with the short daylight. I resist the idea of my suffering from seasonal affective disorder (SAD no less), but I do know that it helps to get out in the sunny part of the day and absorb some of that vitamin D. In these parts, we go to standard time, in our case Eastern Standard Time/EST, on Nov. 7, falling back an hour, which makes a lot of people early to church. I do dislike doing outdoor chores in the dark. It feels like I've lost time, though it's just more time in the dark. Winter Solstice, the first day of winter, is Dec. 21, after which we gain a few minutes of daylight every day, although I hardly notice in January and February. Of course, our members in Australia are just moving into spring!

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
A friend and I have this conversation every year, counting the days ‘til 12/21 or Winter Equinox.

For me, I enjoy seeing the sun set in the window s to the left.

I settle into Fall and Winter. I don’t fight it. Now is a good time to plant bulbs for Spring, open a window while reducing utilities, think about smoking meat and crockpot stew recipes.

Don’t fight it. Enjoy!!

Mar 29, 2016
Latakia mixtures and European Burley/Kentucky season has arrived. Also more stews, shepherd's pies, onion soups and all the hot cocoa I can drink, life is good .

Last edited:
Reactions: kcghost

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And it's getting cold. Even in sunny Carolina, it's into the forties tonight and the next few days. I guess I'll go ahead and turn on the central heat. My wife is a farm girl and wouldn't mind a few cold mornings, but the two cats always look approving when it warms up from the vents. And they are big fluffy Maine Coon type cats ... out of a drainpipe as kittens. I think there was a Maine Coon involved, if not the mom.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
And it's getting cold. Even in sunny Carolina, it's into the forties tonight and the next few days. I guess I'll go ahead and turn on the central heat. My wife is a farm girl and wouldn't mind a few cold mornings, but the two cats always look approving when it warms up from the vents. And they are big fluffy Maine Coon type cats ... out of a drainpipe as kittens. I think there was a Maine Coon involved, if not the mom.
For me, it's just an excuse to get cozy with the comforter. I will enjoy not using the utilities for as long as possible.