PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
How does the 1hr for a 3/4 bowl sound, it seems long but i felt like i was in a rush
That was pretty good time for a bowl that size methinks. I couldn't smoke that much in one sitting though, my usual pipes are about 2/3 of that size and smaller.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In my own experience I've found that certain pipes seem to burn too hot for anything but English blends (which tend to burn cooler than other blends). I wouldn't be surprised if you find that Sunset Breeze burns cooler in a cob than in that Sav. There's a lot of experimenting and trial & error to deal with. One reason I like Sav's Hercules series is because they are heavier, thicker walled pipes, which seem to burn cooler with VA blends.
You may have packed too loose as well, or smoked a bit fast. It takes a lot practice. I use the "gravity" method for packing: allow the tobacco to fall into the bowl slowly pretty much to the top, then tamp very lightly leaving the pack still having a "spring" to it...then drop in again at a trickle until filled, and this time tamp just a little harder...repeat this, tamping slightly harder each time until the bowl is near full.
I also find I have better results if I allow the tobacco to dry a little before packing.
Also...that pipe will probably burn a bit cooler after you've got some cake built up in it.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
update.........what is a bad smoke?

picked up a cob yesterday and had a bowl of Sunset Breeze in that and the Savinelli. Couldn't tell any difference in taste, coolness, smoothness??? Everyone says they never get a bad smoke in a cob, what exactly defines a bad smoke? I have a little tongue bite but I'm sure i'm packing too tight and smoking too fast. I am also going to try to dry the tobacco abit before the next shot. I find the draw too easy on the pipes compared to a fine cigar.
Enjoying myself even though I'm far from that perfect smoke....

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"what is a bad smoke?"
This is an EXCELLENT question, and I think we'd all answer it a little differently. For me a "smoke" is the total experience; not just drawing smoke from the bowl, but the feel of the pipe in my hand, the comfort of the bit in my teeth, the aroma, the taste, all the way to a clean un-goopy bowl and pipe cleaners that run all the way down to the bowl. So a "bad smoke", for me, is when one or more of the above steps is less than optimal.
I'm not a fan of cobs because the bits are cheap, the shank extends into the bowl and the feel and look of a corn cob are just not the same as good briar. But I also realize that it's a matter of persona preference.
I'd rethink using a cigar torch lighter. It can burn the pipe and will disintegrate the leaf rather than properly lighting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.