PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
My first pipe arrived today. After hours and hours of research (thanks to everyone here) I pulled the trigger on a Savinelli Standing 606 from SP.com. Why, first off I liked the looks, very classic bent. Price was very reasonable. It's always on the list people recommended for a starter pipe. I also liked the idea of the filter mainly because it helps with heat and moisture and is removable. I also ordered a variety pack of Peterson tins. I think I'm starting with the Sunset Breeze, everyone seems to recommend the aromatics for the starter. I've watched many YouTubes about everything pipe related including breaking in a new pipe. Tomorrow after work will be the maiden voyage. Any and all advice will be heeded.........

Cheers,
P.S. why is my "standing" pipe stamped "sitting" on the bottom?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Martininman!

I think you have done well pulling the trigger on the Savinelli.

But, a word of caution, don't believe everything you see on Youtube.

If you want some solid advice I recommend that you look through the links in "blue" located in the left column down a little way. You'll know them when you see them...

Lots of good information in there.

My first piece of advice is in two parts.

#1 don't pack your pipe too tightly

#2 throw away the filter.

:puffy:

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Thanks....

I always wanted to go with and without filter to see the diff.
bentmike-I'm going to have to figure out how to post picture here. any link describe how?

my older knees wont let me ride aggressively anymore so I'm on the 1200GS. I'm glad there are other riders here. I know 90% of that i know about bikes from advrider.com and the forums over there.

adam12

May 16, 2011
My first recommendation would be not to watch YouTube
:puffy:

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Welcome! You are about to embark on a wonderful journey in discovering a many great things about pipe smoking. Soon PAD(Pipe Aquisition Disorder) and TAD(Tobacco Aquisition Disorder) will take a strong hold of you. But don't worry we'll be here to coach you along as you need it. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. Be sure to let us know how it goes for you after your first bowl tommorow. Enjoy! :puffy:

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
martiniman said:

Thanks....

I always wanted to go with and without filter to see the diff.
My Savinelli came with some balsa filters. I smoked it with one, and then I smoked it with out one. I personally couldn't tell the difference. All the balsa filter was really doing was collecting condensation, and getting pretty funky. You can flick you pipe stem out on the ground or run a cleaner down it to remove any condensation. Also, not having to buy filters is pretty good IMHO.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
dgerwin11-I like the advise,

One of my mantras in life is KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. :D

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Welcome martiniman! I love your "avatar" (or whatever they call it)...the Dude abides indeed...what a great flick.
I too started with a Sav...great pipes for the price. I especially like the Hercules series...still smoke 'em. I'd also highly recommend Lucianos for the price...imo, they are of higher quality than many of the Savs for only a little more $ if you have it.
One thing I'd recommend is picking up 2 or 3 cobs right off the bat as well. They are extremely inexpensive (like around $5) and this will provide you with pipes to rotate from day to day so you can rest the Sav for a day or two between smokes. Also cobs are good for trying out new blends so that you don't have to burn too many different tastes in the briar. Then when you have the funds available you can buy more expensive pipes.
P&C has cobs: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/
One other note: just my personal experience, but the advice is often given to start with very mild blends and/or aromatics. In my case I wish I hadn't...but I'd gone from smoking cigars for years to the pipe...and I was immediately dissatisfied with "mild" blends. For example, I loved the stronger English/Balkan blends the first time I tried them...same with VA blends. But that's just me. Depends on what you're used to and personal taste...but I just don't think that starting out with mild or aro's is necessarily right for everyone.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Welcome Aboard and get yourself some pipe cleaners!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

jp12

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2012
Welcome aboard. There's already a lot of great advice on this post but I'd like to add "yes, you will most likely burn your tongue to some degree, it's normal and goes away with practice and experience". It's caused by either packing your tobacco too loose or too tight, or maybe because the tobacco is too moist or too dry, and possibly because any other number of reasons. As you can see, the art of pipe smoking is clear as mud. Enjoy the adventure!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome, martiniman.
If your first bowl isn't as good as you expect, don't give up. As your packing and smoking technique get better your smokes will improve dramatically.
I like the balsa filters.

...and get yourself some pipe cleaners!

Yes!

lab1dobie

Might Stick Around
Mar 11, 2012
Welcome!! I started out with a Dr. Grabow - big mistake. Then a couple of months later I got a Peterson - right thing to do. I started out with aromatics and worked my way to English blends. The thing about pipe smoking is that there are always new pipes and tobaccos to try. I have 3 Savinelli's that are great. Enjoy your new hobby!

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
first off.thanks for the warm welcome.

First bowl down, an interesting start, used my favorite cigar lighter and it ran out of fuel immediately like it was going on strike (really) had back up matches. A couple of surprises- i smoked Sunset Breeze by Peterson, smelled extremely sweet but was surprisingly not. very mild. Hard to keep light in the beginning 1/4 bowl but then got the hang of it. 7 total matches, I felt like i was rushing things while i was concentrating on a smooth slow draw. i only packed the bowl 3/4 full but it took 1 hr to complete. NICE. I'm a semi-cigar smoker but thought the draw was too free on the pipe, i was wondering if i packed too loose. However, if i packed too loose i would assume it would have smoke quicker. Can't wait for the next bowl. I fell there is a conspiracy here, i have to wait 24 hrs for the next bowl!!! of course i need another pipe, really? who made this rule? I remember my uncle smoking bowl after bowl after bowl on the same briar. now i need to get a couple of cobs in a hurry. How does the 1hr for a 3/4 bowl sound, it seems long but i felt like i was in a rush. Also my bowl got really hot. not just a little but really hot especially at the 1/2 way spot. tomorrow is the opening day of trout in NEPA and i can wait to fire up streamside and take in everything. like the trout, i'm hooked.......

Status
Not open for further replies.