Quebec
Here is what I mean by "expired offer". Package was received on Nov. 22nd

1z4vn1k.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse,
Yes, they make mistakes, so do I, so do you.
You might want to rethink that statement and speak for yourself. I don't make mistakes, I can count on one hand the number of mistakes I have made over the last 50 years. I live in a mistake free zone created by my incredible intellect which is beyond humans as a whole. If I really think about it, the last mistake I made was listening to you about one of the last Pre Trans Barlings I bought because you said it was a good deal. I still cannot fathom why in hell I would ever listen to you, especially about Pre Trans Barlings. :nana:

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
An order I placed last week arrived yesterday in perfect shape, with plenty of bubble wrap. I was impressed.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse, lololol, too funny. I'll have you know my collection of Willmer AAA Straight Grain pipes is world renowned. I have gotten offers from some of the most prestigious museums in the entire world for me to display them there. So stick your slimey Pre Trans Barlings up your ass. :mrgreen:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jesse, if Harris does as you suggest, he may never find them again. :nana: :rofl:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Unfortunately, Kroger's had King Cobra on sale for (in tall boys!) so I missed this sale. Probably for the best with the holidays on the radar.
Cosmic makes good points about treating the merchant in good faith, meaning that you contact them before filing a public report here. The only exception, I think, is that the community has questions about the ongoing struggles that P&C has been having.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I ordered Sunday night before the BOGO sale expired, scoring ridiculous savings on those items and merely great savings on the rest. All promo codes worked properly and the order shipped yesterday.
The site states that the code is valid until Monday, November 27th and 11:59pm ET. It's 11:22pm ET.
The code for their recent 27% off sale expired at 9:00 pm Eastern rather than the advertised 11:59 pm--just putting that out there for data gathering purposes. They took care of me over the phone the next morning.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
And, why post it here? That makes no sense. Unless your wanting to just rant without getting anything resolved, why post this here? You could very well, call, email, or contact Russ via PM, which would be 100% more effective.
Yeah, I'm feeling salty about it. I've ordered from them numerous times. It's about 50/50 that I have an issue, they typically take care of it, but not always, I'm still waiting for 2 pounds of EMP, but that's a different story. But, why all the issues? Why doesn't their site work? Why should I have to call customer service because half my stuff didn't ship? Russ has helped in the past, but again why should anyone have to?
I've ordered from another popular site and never had an issue. I've placed as many orders with the other site as with P&C. I've never needed to email, call, or otherwise complain.
I'm done with P&C. I glad others have had good experiences, but not me.
Rant over

Jun 27, 2016
I have noticed that their sales have been ending a few hours early the last few times, but you're basically cutting off your nose to spite your face because you don't want to pick up the phone once in a while. I'll call them for some reason, and then call again the next day to see if it got handled. Doesn't bother me, if I am getting what I want. My "$20 off" order showed up today with no issues, and my Fireside/Cyber17 deal-stacker order shipped today, including the one tin that was ordered as a back-order, but must have arrived in time to be included. If there's a problem with it, I'll call them up a couple of times and they will handle it. :puffy:

Why should I have to call customer service because half my stuff didn't ship?

Because theoretically, posting on a forum instead of addressing the issue directly with the company/person "shouldn't" get the issue resolved. But, since P&C is an outstanding company that participates with us forum members, it does get resolved, making P&C an outstanding company that deserves better than your rant. They've gone above and beyond, and I think many here have seen this.

It's a lot like the lady down the road from me, having an issue with her neighbor's dog crapping in her yard. Instead of addressing the issue with him, or anyone else in that household, she went to the phone and called my wife as well as everyone else's wife in the neighborhood. And, the neighbor with the crappy dog never knew that he had an issue at all. I had to tell him, and meanwhile everyone in the neighborhood had to smile and shrug every time we mention the gossipy neighbor. It's like gossip.

But, luckily, this outstanding company is here with us, and he is addressing your issue. I hope you appreciate what has happened. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I guess for me, it makes sense to have a process of escalation. First you contact very nicely; after that you contact a bit more forcefully; after that, you call the credit card company and cancel payment. Something like that. In this respect Cosmic is entirely correct.
However, UnkleYoda is asking a different question: he is saying, "Why is it that, in order to get an order normally processed, I have to end up calling customer service?" That is another way of saying: he feels he should be able to place an order without having to administrate it on his end. Another good point.
I suppose for me, I see P&C improving in areas over time. I also see that there have been numerous changes in ownership, staff, software (!!!), and other items of business over there. So, the question is, are these hiccups eternal, or transient, meaning that they are effects of P&C making these transitions?
As for me, I placed an order with SPC yesterday. This is a smaller company; they tend to give more of a personal touch to orders. If you can handle a metaphor, P&C is Wal-mart, another favorite store of mine, and SPC is more like your local B&M.
My suggestion here is that we start a general thread for reviews of pipe and pipe tobacco online sellers. There, each person can weigh in on their experiences.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
I see this passive aggressive behavior on boards and reddit all the time. As others have noted, it's difficult to get swept up into an injustice that really isn't an injustice.
CI and P&C codes have been expiring at 9:00 p.m. all year long. A phone call, a note through the website, even a Facebook message--each time I've been told that they'll honor the ''expired'' coupon code. Inconvenient? Sure. But often these discounts are so good that I don't really care.
And if you think this is bad, try placing an order in February. I'll take a code problem over that any day. It's pipe tobacco. It's sold by people just like us, who enjoy it. It's not WalMart or Amazon or some monolithic retailer rooted in the ruthless efficiency of global supply chain management. I tried the fold and stuff method with Quiet Nights in my 320 last night: It was a two hour smoke. My point is, the entire hobby is inefficient, which accounts for much of its necessity in my routine. Inefficiency should never be confused with incompetence.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
passive aggressive behavior...reddit
You don't say!
You mean an entire internet hive mind dedicated to Starbucks baristas and Whole Foods checkers who have a "bold new plan to save the world" might in fact be a lot of human monkey behavior?
No foolin'... ;)

Remember when you used to have to fill out a page from a catalog and mail it in with a check? Then, sometimes the mail would send your order to the dead letter office because of some technicality left off of the envelope. And, you just had to keep writing checks until something showed up months latter at your house? Or, you could call, and talk to a New Yorker who talked really fast and couldn't understand plain ol' Southern English, and you just hope that they understood you well enough to take the order. Or, latter, when you could take the page from the catalog and drive it two cities over to find a fax machine, and then call them when you get home to make sure they got the order. Or, you could boot up a computer, start dinner, and after dinner the computer would be able to access the internet using a phone cradle and websites were numbers you dialed on the phone.
Nowadays, kids are all like... "I placed an instant lightspeed order online from my phone while taking a crap and it took a freakin' week to get it." It takes exactly five seconds for a new technology to become an expected entitlement of perfection.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Or, you could call, and talk to a New Yorker who talked really fast and couldn't understand plain ol' Southern English, and you just hope that they understood you well enough to take the order.
Ha ha. I remember one time when the air conditioning guy was using the phone at our house (no cell phones back then), trying to get a part ordered from somewhere out of state (call it New York, if you like) and he was being told he'd have to contact someone else. So our air conditioning guy, kind of a good ol' boy, but really smart, asked:
"Ok, so how can I get a hote to 'im?....I said, how can I get a hote to 'im?...
I said, how can I... OH, for Pete's sake, HOW MAY I ESTABLISH CONTACT?"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
P&C bashing has become a sort of minor sport on pipe forums. I can understand if there's a problem that's not getting resolved through one's efforts. It's information of which to be aware. But just blowing steam to blow steam is really boring and leaves the ranter looking like a spoiled brat.
If P&C's software can't be set to the Eastern time zone, which seems to be the case, then do a workaround by setting the actual cut off time to three hours later than the announced time. No problems will occur, just more happy customers. And, maybe don't wait until the last possible second to put in an order before the cut off.
Why should we expect P&C to be perfect? WE'RE not.

Status
Not open for further replies.