PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm looking for a 1985 Dunhill with a cumberland stem. Would prefer a billiard or Canadian shape. It's my first Dunhill so I'm not super familiar with the nomenclature. Thanks for any leads.
Here's an '85 Chestnut with a brindle stem.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'm looking for a 1985 Dunhill with a cumberland stem. Would prefer a billiard or Canadian shape. It's my first Dunhill so I'm not super familiar with the nomenclature. Thanks for any leads.
That’s exactly what I chose as my special Birthyear pipe. I can help you with the nomenclature!
DUNHILL CUMBERLAND
MADE IN ENGLAND25

I picked a 4103 which is a standard billiard in medium size. A Canadian shape in the same size would be shape code 4109.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Here's an '85 Chestnut with a brindle stem.

Would anyone be concerned with the damage on that pipe or its letter condition?

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
That’s exactly what I chose as my special Birthyear pipe. I can help you with the nomenclature!
DUNHILL CUMBERLAND
MADE IN ENGLAND25

I picked a 4103 which is a standard billiard in medium size. A Canadian shape in the same size would be shape code 4109.
I'm after a new high end pipe and was after a Dunhill. But I hear so much stuff about the older pipes from the 20s and 30s being best but I love the cumberlands.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm after a new high end pipe and was after a Dunhill. But I hear so much stuff about the older pipes from the 20s and 30s being best but I love the cumberlands.
You may consider a 1985 Ashton. These were the "Bill Taylor" era of Ashton pipes and are quite good. Bill Taylor started working for Dunhill when he was 15 years old.........
In fact, the Ashton's of that era are generally considered better quality than the mid 80's Dunhills..........

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
You may consider a 1985 Ashton. These were the "Bill Taylor" era of Ashton pipes and are quite good. Bill Taylor started working for Dunhill when he was 15 years old.........
I have a lovely Ashton I actually bought off of the lady selling the washed out dunhill off etsy lol. I love it but might have to just get a castello or ser jacopo. I'm not a collector by any means but wanted to see what all this dunhill mystique was about...

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
In fact, the Ashton's of that era are generally considered better quality than the mid 80's Dunhills..........
So apparently these Ashtons are worth more than Dunhills?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-211103_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220321-211103_eBay.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Haha
Reactions: beefeater33

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have a lovely Ashton I actually bought off of the lady selling the washed out dunhill off etsy lol. I love it but might have to just get a castello or ser jacopo. I'm not a collector by any means but wanted to see what all this dunhill mystique was about...
Ahhh... I thought you were looking for a birth year pipe. If you want to try a Dunhill I'd recommend one from the mid 60's and older. There are exceptions, but the older ones really are better in my opinion.........

Reactions: verporchting

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
Ahhh... I thought you were looking for a birth year pipe. If you want to try a Dunhill I'd recommend one from the mid 60's and older. There are exceptions, but the older ones really are better in my opinion.........
Yes I was after a birth year dunhill but I'm newer on earth so the quality of an 85 model might not be good compared to pre 50's pipe

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
This ^^^^

I’ve got several 1960s Dunhill pipes that I’m very pleased with. I own one beautiful prince from 2000 and the grain is outstanding but for several reasons I greatly prefer the older examples. They just appeal to me more and seem better made, smoke better, the briar is better, lighter, better stem work, just … better. Is that just in my head? Maybe but it’s been a consistent impression now for some time. Nothing at all wrong with the 2000 model - it’s a very nice pipe in all respects but it just isn’t as appealing to me for the reasons above.

Sharp_tungsten

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2021
Evans City Pennsylvania
This ^^^^

I’ve got several 1960s Dunhill pipes that I’m very pleased with. I own one beautiful prince from 2000 and the grain is outstanding but for several reasons I greatly prefer the older examples. They just appeal to me more and seem better made, smoke better, the briar is better, lighter, better stem work, just … better. Is that just in my head? Maybe but it’s been a consistent impression now for some time. Nothing at all wrong with the 2000 model - it’s a very nice pipe in all respects but it just isn’t as appealing to me for the reasons above.
I've always heard and read that that 20's and 30's Shell Briar's with oil treatment are where the magic happened but I think it's all mystique but I still wouldn't mind throwing money at it to see what it's all about lol.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've always heard and read that that 20's and 30's Shell Briar's with oil treatment are where the magic happened but I think it's all mystique but I still wouldn't mind throwing money at it to see what it's all about lol.
I say go for it........... Old Dunhills are like old Harley Davidson motorcycles......... they just hold their value or even go up over time. Keep in mind that the 20-30's Dunhills are considerably smaller as a rule, not always, but I think tobacco was expensive back then, and smaller bowls were the norm.