PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I’ve heard all sorts of explanations for what plume is: sugars that crystallize out of the tobacco, oils that emerge from the leaf, products of microbes, etc. Someone with a science background and access to a GC/MS ought to see what’s really in the stuff.

In "Analysis of Chemical Components in Bloom on Cigar Leaf", scientists used atomic absorption spectrometry, ionic chromatography, UV spectrophotometry and gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy.

They found "bloom of cigar leaf was a kind of mixture composed of KNO3, NH4Cl, as major constituents, and some volatile organic compounds".

Science!

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
In "Analysis of Chemical Components in Bloom on Cigar Leaf", scientists used atomic absorption spectrometry, ionic chromatography, UV spectrophotometry and gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy.

They found "bloom of cigar leaf was a kind of mixture composed of KNO3, NH4Cl, as major constituents, and some volatile organic compounds".

Science!
I appreciate the science! Moreover; I've also read the science posted by @pantsBoots : Is This Tobacco Smokeable? :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/is-this-tobacco-smokeable.78763/post-36183800

I think there's some credibility to both theories. That it could be salts or some sort of microorganism, depending on each case.

Either way, like many others have said, it is normal. The real test is whether or not it tastes good.

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana

Science!
Hey, good find! Wish it had the whole article though. I’d be interested in reading it.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.