PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Opened this 6 year tin of escoterica tobacco Margaret and has white stuff on it seems dusty and the whole strand of tobacco sparkles, I'm not for sure if its mold or not? never had tobacco with this on it before doesn't smell bad or anything either

Attachments

• 15980617451955311985941013939295.jpg
    15980617451955311985941013939295.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
Alright awesome makes sense, I'm excited to try it since I never tried any escoterica blends been cellering tins and bags of it for about 10 years now

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
It's common on Germain products, especially ones that have a few years on them. Spooked me the first time I saw it. Harmless.

For reference, if it were mold, your concern is colors other than white and a funky, uncharacteristic smell. Referencing the "first time" tin above, Balkan Sobranie, I thought the smell was off until I realized that's what an aged Balkan is supposed to smell like! You live, you learn.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve heard all sorts of explanations for what plume is: sugars that crystallize out of the tobacco, oils that emerge from the leaf, products of microbes, etc. Someone with a science background and access to a GC/MS ought to see what’s really in the stuff.

Reactions: BROBS

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Here is an attempt at classifying "plume" on cigars:

That said, I have seen cigars that have a sparkly lustre, but it appears to be few and far between. FWIW, the white stuff on Germain products in my collection looks like Aspergillus.

Now here is your rabbit hole for trying to ascertain which microorganisms help and which hurt the aging process:

Last edited:
Reactions: rajangan

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
No. Not if the carrier of moisture has evaporated. Also with plume if you touch or rub it, it goes away or back into the tobacco.

BROBS, what are you saying exactly? What is "the carrier of moisture"? What evaporated? What is left behind?

Are you saying plume is oils, dissolved in moisture (water?) that go to the surface, where the water evaporates and then the oils crystallize? Quite a few problems with that hypothesis.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROBS, what are you saying exactly? What is "the carrier of moisture"? What evaporated? What is left behind?

Are you saying plume is oils, dissolved in moisture (water?) that go to the surface, where the water evaporates and then the oils crystallize? Quite a few problems with that hypothesis.

Yes oil crystallizes

Reactions: twoonefive
Status
Not open for further replies.