PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I got out of bed the other night at two AM to have a bowl cause I couldn't sleep!

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Hi Smokeyweb. Yup, normal. If you're like me you'll try some baccy that you're unsure about, and end up loving them and wanting more. You'll also prolly collect an assortment of Zippos and other cool butane lighters. Prepare your budget!

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Well, glad I'm not the only one on here who's lost their marbles. Now that my kids are in bed, time to go turn on some Sinatra, mix a stiff drink, and spend the evening in the garage!

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
"My wife is already flipping out because I "dedicated" one of her kitchen cabinets to my new found hobby."

Oh man, no shop or cabnet in the garage? That would never fly here!

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Wait till the restoration bug hits you.....that's a lot of fun.
I got back into the hobby just over a year ago. I decided to celebrate this with a December birthday present....my first Dunhill. Never have I spent this much money in one spot for anything pipe related.
Scores for me though, I have my own dining hutch that is now a tobacco hutch, and I can smoke indoors freely. The woman has an appreciation of my tobaccos, and has 3 pipes herself....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
smokeyweb: You seem about as normal as most of the denizens of this site. It's a diverse group of ne'er do wells with one or two aingiseoirs, a handful of wags, a couple of almost too serious pipers, and more than its fair share of ____________ (fill in the blank). Enjoy the ride!

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I believe you've been biten by the bug like the rest of us hahaha!

I started back into piping a year ago and haven't looked back. Within the first 5mo I had colleceted 10 pipes. I was buying one every other week just to build up a rotation. Now I focus more on tobacco than pipes. I am eyeing up a few pipes for puchase this summer (smokeybear and pruss I'll be looking to you guys for some more nice Trypis' :P ) Beyond that I just enjoy my tobacco and pipes when I get a chance. The entirety of the hobby is what keeps it interesting and new to the brain.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
The "happy and relaxed" is the nicotene settling in; like the buzz from good wine, that is not strictly why we follow this, but it's a not altogether unpleasant side effect. Also, the act of smoking itself is calming and meditiative, the cadence of the draw and the reflection on each texture, taste, and aroma, so the act of pipe smoking in itself can have that effect.
The mania to aquire, learn, and absorb as much as possible as quickly as possible, is the aforementioned PAD and TAD. As I am one year in on my serious pipe journey, and already 30ish pounds deep, i feel you on that! Keep it in perspective, and in budget, and you're good; just like anything else, if you enjoy it and it isn't obstructing your real life and your relationships with family and friends, it's all good. o)

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Lol... All good advice my friends. Pretty sure I'm hooked. What a fun hobby though. Even the ritual of the process is extremely enjoyable and relaxing. I would love to find a good tobacco that smells/tastes like campfire or smoked meat. Any suggestions?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
No question then you are looking for a Latakia blend. It is made by smoke drying the tobacco leaf which gives it the characteristic smokey smell and unique taste. My kids like it cause it smells just like campfire. Don't believe what you read about camel dung, it hasn't been made like that for 100 years. There are two types Syrian and Cyprion the latter being the most common. Look for blends that are "English" as they will typically be your blends with Latakia. Dunhill Nightcap is easy to find and is a good start. One I really like is C&D Pirate Kake.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
You are completely normal since most of us have been where you are now. The problem is that this urge to buy pipes and tobacco may last for 25+ years. Welcome to our wonderful world.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
@smokeyweb good luck man, I hope it works out for you. I'm struggling myself.
KX6Mmzfl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.