Is this Normal with Flake; If Not, What am I Doing Wrong?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Smoking Peterson Navy Flake and wondering if it is normal for the tobacco on the side of the bowl not to burn? Every time I smoke flake I have to push what is on the sides of the bowl in and lightly tamp. I’m using the fold method and wondering if it’s my packing, lighting, or the wrong tobacco for this style bowl.

Attachments

• 994F11DA-3384-499F-B218-6819B17F340D.jpeg
    994F11DA-3384-499F-B218-6819B17F340D.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 22
  • D91B4F01-14A3-4BA9-A02A-1DBBF6273093.jpeg
    D91B4F01-14A3-4BA9-A02A-1DBBF6273093.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 22

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Smoking Peterson Navy Flake and wondering if it is normal for the tobacco on the side of the bowl not to burn? Every time I smoke flake I have to push what is on the sides of the bowl in and lightly tamp. I’m using the fold method and wondering if it’s my packing, lighting, or the wrong tobacco for this style bowl.
Do you reserve a bit of the flake to crumble up, spread over the top and use as kindling?. It seems that you're not getting an even light over the top of the tobacco. The kindling may help. If you have matches, try them instead of a lighter. I get good coverage with a match (though I'm too damned lazy to give up a lighter).

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Do you reserva a bit of the flake to crumble up, spread over the top and use as kindling?. It seems that you're not getting an even light over the to of the tobacco. The kindling may help. If you have matches, try them instead of a lighter. I get good coverage with a match (though I'm too damned lazy to give up a lighter).
No I haven’t yet, still a new tin and haven’t built up any excess yet. I’ll bring a little ribbon cut to work on Monday so I can try that. Thank you

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I rarely smoke flake tobacco, and when I do, it is generally rubbed out before I load the bowl. Someone else will definitely be able to chime in here.

My initial thought would be the flake is too moist causing you to sip a bit heavy and create a tunnel down the middle. Could be way off though bro
Good possibility, I let the flake sit out for 45 min but it was still kinda moist to the touch

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I rarely smoke flake tobacco, and when I do, it is generally rubbed out before I load the bowl. Someone else will definitely be able to chime in here.

My initial thought would be the flake is too moist causing you to sip a bit heavy and create a tunnel down the middle. Could be way off though bro
I’m with you. I’ve had the most success with rubbing them out.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
It's normal and good. I pack ribbons to the sides so I get the same burn even without a flake. An ember in the middle is cooking the flavor out of all the unburned tobacco on the sides. The trick is to relight once you get a 3rd of the way in, whether you need to or not. You'll see the ember turn into a "ring of fire" that quickly catches up to the first light cherry.
I always try to keep this illustration in mind:
barling-prince.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When my pipe goes out around halfway I will gently stir the ash and dump. I then use my tamper to scrape the sides of the inside of the bowl, tamped down gently and relight. I might have to do that one more time, it depends if I was paying attention. I pretty much strictly smoke flakes and fold and stuff everything. That hit after scraping the sides is really very tasty.